Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making urea formaldehyde resin
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 16:45
Making urea formaldehyde resin

I am attempting to make urea formaldehyde resin by making a hexamine sol. adding sulphuric acid to make ammonium hydrogen sulphate and methanal at 30% in the sol. then using this solution on very concentred urea sol. and ad few ml of conc H2SO4 and the mix dont want to polymerise. Do SM know why?

For formaldehyde I can only use hexamine as a starting material.

Thanks!!!

I never asked for this.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 22:48

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
by making a hexamine sol. adding sulphuric acid to make ammonium hydrogen sulphate and methanal at 30% in the sol.

What is the reference?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 02:43

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
by making a hexamine sol. adding sulphuric acid to make ammonium hydrogen sulphate and methanal at 30% in the sol.

What is the reference?

I read it somewhere on this forum. Ammonia and methanal are reacted to make hexamine, ading an acid to the examine will hydrolise it back to formaldehyde and an ammonium salt.

C6H12N4 + 6 H2O + 4 H2SO4 = 4 NH4HSO4 + 6 CH2O

I never asked for this.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 05:00

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
What is the reference?

I read it somewhere on this forum.

What was the reference used in that post and what reaction conditions are required?
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 10:49

Hmm... Methylamine HCl can be made by boiling hexamine and HCl. I don't expect the reaction of sulfuric acid and hexamine to cleanly produce formaldehyde...

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by barley81]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 21:59

There is another family of resins that may hold interest to members here, and could be easily made.

Furfural is useful for forming resins, either by itself or with additives. It polymerizes under mildly acidic conditions to a dark colored polymer. Interestingly, this new polymer still retains all it carbon-carbon double bonds. It is actually a condensation reaction, and water is released.

Furfural can be made from corn cobs:
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv1...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=19...

The furan rings become bridged by methylene groups attached on the carbon atoms of the ring adjacent to the oxygen in the furan ring. Apparently plain furan cannot be readily polymerized, as it is more aromatic.

Since furfural is an aldehyde, it can also condense with amines to form resins, in a different type of reaction. US Patent 7781521 describes furfural-urea resins. These resins can contain a range of different proportions, because the furfural does not need any urea to polymerise.

Go To Top