Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: electron orbits
heksogen
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 22-5-2004 at 09:47
electron orbits

from the school and books I know that elements have from one to seven orbitals. They are called K,L,M,N,O,P,Q. I also know that's not exactly like that. I heared a lot about Hunds' rule, Paulies' ban, spins of electrons and quantums of energy. Now I am very hungry to any knowledge about this topic. Could someone simply explain me quantum chemistry??

Heksogen
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 22-5-2004 at 15:18

Quote:
Originally posted by heksogen
Could someone simply explain me quantum chemistry??

Thats an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Might I ask what that K,L,M,N,O,P,Q business is? Is that the energy level or the orbital itself? If it's the energy level I've always just learned 1-7. If the orbital itself it's S,P,D,F,G. The G level is theoretical as far as I know.

Don't know if I should be refering people to other boards, but this thread should help explain some of it at least.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2004 at 18:20

K,L,M,N, etc are the names of the shells, naming used mainly in X ray spectroscopy.

My understanding is that the orbital names do not come from german, but from the visible spectroscopy of alkali metals.

In the visible region 3 series of emission lines are usually observable. One of the series was called the 'Principle' series becuase it could also be observed as dark lines by light absorbtion through the metal vapour. the remaining two series were named according to how they looked, 'Sharp' and 'Diffuse'. Sometimes a part of a fourth series can be seen which was called 'Fundamental'. I believe furthur orbitals are named alphabetically from f.

I think the amount of quantum chemistry you have left to learn is minimal, beyond that point quantum mechanics starts and I failed to find any good introductory books prior to my learning it. If you plan to keep walking in that direction, I suggest you concentrate on mathmatics, which you will have to be very fluent in to get anywhere.
sanity gone
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2004 at 19:41

Remember:
Electrons want to exsist at the lowest possible energy level, this is one of the guiding principals of quantum mechanics. Also, electrons are negative, and therefore repel each other when they get to close. Lastly, electrons are both energy (think resonary structures for a perfect example) and particles... we can either know an electrons location and nothing about its energy or the oppisite. Thats the best introduction to quantum theroy I could think of.
darkflame89
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 00:41

I thought they were named s, p, d, f ( for sharp, principal, diffuse, and f??) And that these orbitals were calculated by Schrodinger's hydrogen equation.

My suggestion is that you go to the library.:D

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 00:50

The shell names K, L, M, N, etc... are simply names of shell used to descrive various quantum energy levels, such as the shell having quantum energy of 1 is known as the K shell and so on.

Orbitals are something different, where an orbital describes the position of an electron.

Quote:

Could someone simply explain me quantum chemistry??

"Simply" is not connected to quantum chemistry believe me. I would, as others have suggested, go to the library and read. There are piles of information on this ongrowing subject if you are interested. Google could also help.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 14:52

Useless trivia for the record: The shell letters originate from Barkla, from his (Nobel prize winning) experiments with x-rays. He wanted to leave room for undiscovered levels. Google him and you will get many sites. Also Google Bohr, Schrodinger, and Heisenberg. This should keep you busy for a long time.

Good luck finding simple physics explanations that do not involve equations, which lead to more equations, and so on.

Go To Top