Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Digital Merck index wanted, plus any other digital refs/HB's
Doc B
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 09:56
Digital Merck index wanted, plus any other digital refs/HB's

After recently becoming the victim of theft of pretty much all my literature and equipment, I am trying to get back on track. Of chief concern is if anyone would be able to suggest methods to obtain a digital copy of the revered and sacred Merck index?
Any version is fine and at as little cost as possible with free being most preferable. I'd purchase a new set if I had the means but fortune has it beyond me at present.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

B
Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 10:00

Secondly I'm madly d/l any reference books and handbooks I can get my hands on, including those found in the appropriate section of Sciencemadness. If anyone's aware of further treasures and their locations please let me know.

B
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 11:27

Ouch...that is really unfortunate... was this a break and enter or some dishonest roomate or something? Somebody who steals literature?!...weird. What kind of equipment did you lose? :(

I'm sure you have already seen the library section of the site, but if not:

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/index.html

Its an excellent start... Aside from that there is always the references section of the forum but you do need to request administrator permission to access it, which is usually based on your history on this site.

I bought an older merck index on eBay for 68$... from the early 2000's which is still fine for my purposes, finding it free is a bit tough.

[Edited on 4-7-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 23:39

I have always found en.bookfi.org an interesting site to 'browse' ;) The morals and ethics of actually downloading anything I leave your conscience to decide. Then there is a also certain russian torrent site if you do that sort of thing
Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 15:54

Thank you for your suggestions. I have indeed been to the library section of this site and am enjoying some of the available literature presently and checked out Ebay too, I hope to win a bid soon. Bookfi is great, I'm much obliged for being put on to it!

It was a robbery, they took; my faith and most holy bible (Merck) among other books, laptop, motorcycle, bank cards, vacuum dist setup with my prized and dearly beloved twin teflon piston vacupump. A bunch of other stuff too, anything that was valuable. It sucks greatly but what can you do other than try to rebuild.

It's funny how an actual copy of information you may know well from the countless hours of study spent over such texts can both leave you feeling abandoned should you be without its possession and comfort you like a safety blanket by just knowing its there. Ok, maybe I have a problem or do other mad scientist feel such attachment to their texts and apparatus?
ripple
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 19:25

I feel for you. I've never had things stolen, but I've had things thrown out by people unfamiliar with the value of texts and equipment. More recently, I lost a box of glassware to a careless friend and his pelican cases filled with effects pedals; apparently "FRAGILE: GLASS!!!" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. :mad:

Having said that though, the likelihood that someone would steal books is so slim that its unbelievable, and if that's not true, then I suspect the whole story is fiction. I hope its not, because there are members of this community that are generous enough to help you get back on your feet and it would be very shitty of you to take advantage of that just so you can get some gear on the cheap by playing the sympathy card.

Also, your writing reads like you're trying to sound like what you'd expect someone who'd just had a bunch of books stolen to sound like. There are enough ESL people on here that its plenty likely you're not from an english speaking country, but its also ok to be a kid on here, also ok to not have a degree etc... its even ok if you're full of shit and decide to come clean.

Really, just be yourself and tell us what's really going on. If your story is actually true, people don't steal books as a rule unless they're chemists themselves, and as long as you're not telling everyone you meet that you have lab equipment, then the person that stole your stuff is almost certainly a science oriented friend of yours- should be a pretty short list of suspects.

Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 16:50

Wow very critical Ripple, all good though as I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Hence I dont mind explaing to hopeful satisfy your curiosity and aleviate any doubt that what I said previously is the way it happened.

I have a suspicion that the thief/thieves knew me and about my personal circumstance, which they exploited. They also knew about the equipment and lituriture in my posession. I imagin that after stealing it, they expect to look up the index in one of the books and to find a list of easy formulas with simple to fill OTC that could be used to make some black market money. I was fortunate to receive a call from the police saying they have found my motorcycle.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 16:58

at least you got your motorbike back, I wonder why someone would steal books and glassware? that isn't the usual thief magnet, did they go after any other valuables?
I suggest you keep an eye on ebay, they often have good things for good prices. you need to be there on the right time.
good luck

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D

Go To Top