Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying agent
achem500
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 21:31
Drying agent

Hey guys,

I had a question about what drying agent to use, and also what kind of setup (plastic bag, dessicator, etc). The two drying agents that I would favor are magnesium sulfate or sodium hydroxide. Also, what are some alternatives to a dessicator?

Thanks.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 21:56

Use magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salt) or calcium chloride (Damp Rid). As far as a desiccator all you need is a container that you can seal both your desiccant and your sample to be dried in. I Use Mason Jars and put my desiccant on the bottom and I have a little rack that I built to put the sample on. For a larger scale i put a jar of desiccant and a jar of the sample in a tupperware container.

bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 00:11

For a general desiccator for removing water I would use silica gel as it has a much much lower vapor pressure at room temp than either mentioned previous in this thread. Easy to regenerate too.

Also it depends what you want to remove/dry, HCl/CaCl mix for acids, like removing acetic acid/water or HCl/water from a compound, or if you need a volatile base removed or extreme low water content, drying over concentrated sulfuric acid works well.

Additionally this is covered in multiple threads....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 03:05

if you have access to or know anyone with a pottery kiln simply drying out some marble chips (nursery garden store etc) to quicklime makes for a cheap and convenient drying ageny

achem500
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 09:26

Thanks a bunch!

Go To Top