Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A good inorganic chemistry book?
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 02:39
A good inorganic chemistry book?

Hey, folks.

One of the things I have tried looking into on google, amazon, and torrent... was what it really means to study an inorganic chemistry textbook.. I mean inorganic chemistry at the junior/senior level of undergrad.

When I took first-year chemistry, it was called inorganic chemistry with quantitative analysis... or something like that. It's called general chemistry now for a lot of U.S. undergraduates. I don't understand the name change for the course.

Besides those aspects, I've tried looking for books that discuss inorganic chemistry. I've come across websites for inorganic chemistry classes, but I keep coming across... the fact that they're saying they're using the first-year chemistry course book for their inorganic chemistry class, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if the first-year is suppose to be a pre-req and that kind of book is used in first year... unless supposedly the first-year book acts as a good foundation for what may be covered.

So, I also came across a book that was listed on a syllabus (lost the source), but it was really just a book on inorganic chemistry discussing a lot of literature sources (seemed more like a graduate-level read). Not that a graduate-level read is beyond me, but I was thinking that wasn't exactly what I was aiming for either...

So, what's a good inorganic chemistry book? Or is inorganic chemistry really covered at its best during first-year undergrad chemistry?

My situation seems mind-boggling and odd, so I thought I would pose it here.

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by Genecks]
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 11:00

I'm not sure I follow just what you mean.

At the university I attend, first year chemistry is referred to as General Chemistry (I and II). This course essentially introduces the ideas of states of matter, atoms, electrons and chemical bonds, equilibria, and really only a very small taste of actual chemical reactions.

Later (typically in the third year), you go on to take Inorganic Chemistry. The course covers group theory and trends, and common reaction and bonding motifs in the the inorganic elements of the periodic table (everything but carbon, which the student has already encountered in basic and intermediate organic chemistry).

All that said, if you're looking for an inorganic chemistry textbook as I've described it above, I like Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of Structure and Reactivity (4th Edition) by Hueey et al. Despite being older, it's the edition still used at my university. Since it's been around a while, you can get a used copy at a reasonable price.

If instead you meant that you want a general chemistry textbook, I think the vast majority of them will probably get you on track to laying a good foundation of understanding. Of the couple of general chemistry books I have, I like Chemistry: The Central Science by Brown et al. the most.

Hope this lessens your confusion.
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 17:59

Yes, I'm talking about a third-year or beyond inorganic chemistry text. I'm not looking for a first-year undergrad chemistry book. I've already read Chemistry: The Central Science by Brown... many years ago.

What bothers me is that it appears that a third-year inorganic chemistry course covers what is in the Brown book, so what really is there more to learn about inorganic chemistry?

What is the difference between these books? Finer and more in depth discussion of particular subjects?

[Edited on 13-8-2012 by Genecks]
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 18:19

At least in my education, the two subjects were not synonymous.

There were commonalities, sure, but inorganic was much more in-depth and focused on mechanisms, structures, and the specific character of the elements. General chemistry was less focused on the elements, and more focused on a broad treatment of the basics of categorizing and analyzing types and behaviors of matter. One could say it was very general. ;)

I'll say I personally didn't really grok what chemistry is really about until I got into organic and started seeing reaction mechanisms. Before that it was all just chemical equations that should be balanced to work out. That understanding only grew as I got into inorganic and was exposed to mechanisms and common behavior for the rest of the periodic table.
francis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 19:14

My first year text was the Brown, LeMay and Burston book as well. My second and third year inorganic, we use 'Shriver and Atkins' Inorganic Chemistry'.

I haven't read it all, mostly the sections on coordination chemistry/organometallics, and also on point groups and symmetry and so on.

It is a good book. Possibly there are others out there.

I know 'Instant Notes in Inorganic Chemistry' from the instant notes series covers areas that The Central Science doesn't, so might be good as a backup to a more comprehensive text.
Rym Carry
Harmless

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 00:47

Genecks,
You said you're looking for something and you've tried to search it everywhere but couldn't find it even you searched in google, amazon and torrent, So I'm going to suggest you a torrent site where you'll get for what you're looking for. I's alos having the same problem but i got everything that I couldn't find anywhere in replacement of the piratebay. I think you should try to browse in it. I hope it'll helps.

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by Rym Carry]

Rym Carry
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 05:43

Try looking for "Chemistry: The Central Science" I think it's in it's 12th edition now and is an excellent book.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 07:58

[returns from bookshelf with handful of books]

<strong>Theoretical Inorganic Chemistry</strong>, Second Edition. M. Clyde Day, Jr. and Joel Selbin &mdash; Haven't read it yet. From the collection of a Ph.D. chemist my father works with.
<strong>Modern Inorganic Chemistry</strong>. William L. Jolly &mdash; Again, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet (I focus on organic), but paging through, it looks excellent. From the same collection.

And, finally, the one from which I can perform almost none of the experiments (Hg, Cr<sup>6+</sup>, asbestos, P, Br, etc.), but truly a gem:

<strong>Synthetic Inorganic Chemistry</strong>, Fifth Edition. Blanchard, Phelan, and Davis. First published in 1908 by John Wiley and Sons.

Found this one abandoned and lonely at a horrible used book store (Half Price Books; run by some of the most ignorant twats I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Don't expect their technical books to be categorized properly. Generally overpriced, as well.). It may be old, but if you can find this book, it's worth purchasing! I enjoy picking it off the shelf and paging through occasionally. If you're worried about how safe chemistry is now, you have no idea what it was like back in the early part of the 20<sup>th</sup> century. My copy has some worrying stains, and the edges of the pages have turned very dark, but it's the best smelling book I own. Mmm... old book smell... [inhales deeply]

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 08:43

ANYTHING by L. Pauling. Especially if your into ascorbic acid too. There are those will know exactly what I mean,
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 10:27

Cotton and Wilkinson- don't recall the title.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top