Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hg2Cl2 Solubility/Reactivity
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 13:11
Hg2Cl2 Solubility/Reactivity

Hi!

I am trying to get a solution of mercury (I) ions- that is all I want :D... my only mercury compounds are the two chlorides and the oxide...

Anyways, wikipedia says that it is insoluble in water, alcohol, and ether... but it didn't help much because it didn't tell me what it is soluble in...

I was thinking maybe it would react with azeotropic HNO3~ form mercury (I) nitrate... Do I have any help with this topic? :D Can anyone suggest something that I can dissolve it in, or should I just try HNO3?

Thanks,
SH

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 04:52

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
Hi!
Anyways, wikipedia says that it is insoluble in water, alcohol, and ether... but it didn't help much because it didn't tell me what it is soluble in...

Wikipedia says Hg2(NO3)2 is slightly soluble in water. It can be produce with mercury and low concentration HNO3.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 05:23

Calomel and the like are never very soluble in polars. I believe it is this property which makes them relatively non-toxic.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 06:26

In polars... so will it be soluble in some sort of non-polar solvent, like chloroform, carbon tet, or even n-Heptane?

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 07:04

How about checking the literature for the solubilities?

Solubility in water: 5.9 micromol/L (Journal of Chemical Education, 1942, 19, 485-489)
Slightly soluble in acetic anhydride (Gmelin Handbook: Hg: MVol.B2, 33, 464-466)
Soluble in acetamide (JACS, 1933, 55, 3987-3988)
Highly soluble in HCl(aq) (Zeitschrift fuer Analytische Chemie, 1927, 72, 293-295)
Soluble in mercury (JACS, 1910, 32, 1541-1555)
Soluble in Na2S2O3(aq) (Gmelin Handbook: S: MVol.B2, 7.6, 917-935)
Soluble in liq. NH3 (Gmelin Handbook: Hg: MVol.B2, 32, 462-464)

Insoluble in MeCN, DMF, acetone, MeOH, HCOOH, CH3COOH, ethyl acetate, diethyl ether. No data for the likely candidates, such as formamide, thiophene, tetrahydrothiophene, pyridine, sulfolane, DMSO ...

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 06:33

OK, for the robots out there who apparently have no soul or imagination, one of the main reasons calomel is relatively non toxic (when ingested orally, by homo sapien), is it's relative insolubility in water. The same holds true for mercury metal. You could probably eat a teaspoon of it without any major toxicology issues. Breathing Hg vapor is a different story,and playing with alkyl mercury compounds (like methyl mercury) just makes me cringe at the thought of it. I would far rather being responsible for handling a box of carfentanil over a bottle of methyl mercury. Being liquid, just adds a whole new dimension of solubility/protection issues with it. Of course, the kilo box of carfentanil will have lost 3-4 grams due to minor spillage, and instant clean up/neutralization.

Go To Top