Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New glassware in the lab: "Modell reactor"
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 16:56
New glassware in the lab: "Modell reactor"

The lab got a lot “modell reactors”, they are like what on the picture. They usually have 3 or more glass joints, enough for one thermometer, a condenser and a dropping funnel.

And the best part is: they have big mouth, so they could be cleaned in no time and the strong glass what are they made from makes them resistant to heat or anything else, adorable!

Have anyone worked with things like these? Also, is there anyone who want to buy one/two of these?;)

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 19:11

What joints do these use by chance?
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 01:05

The glass joints are in European standard, they are 24/29 and the smaller ones are 14/23

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 08:40

I have a similar reactor head with two sizes of reaction flask, but in American standard taper joints (i.e. 45/50, 19/22, 14/20). I've had it in storage for a few years, and haven't had a chance to use it yet. It has 4 necks, with the center one intended for a stirrer bearing.

Are you looking to sell one or two of these? If so, what price range are you thinking?

[Edited on 9/9/12 by bfesser]

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 08:56

What are these reactors specifically used for - do they have a proper purpose, or are they just an alternative to conventional flasks?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 10:35

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
What are these reactors specifically used for

They are used by mainly research chemical companies where they work with small-mid sized reactions (100-500cm3) and there they need to monitor it's heat and they need to do it in a small place.

I think the biggest advantage, that they don't need more place than a stirrer what is under them, if you need to check that how do a reaction works in different solvents, then you just put 3-4 next to each other and just see how does it goes. The 3 joint on the top is enough for most purposes, even we got a "top" with a middle placed joint for overhead stirring, but I think this is not needed, because an enough big stirring bar moves everything inside it.

For the price... pm.

Go To Top