Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nitric acid by thermal decomposition of Ca(NO3)2
Imran
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 04:10
Nitric acid by thermal decomposition of Ca(NO3)2

Has anyone produced nitric acid by thermal decomposition of Ca(NO3)2?
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 04:45

It is possible, but there's a problem. The stuff comes as a hydrate and it will first melt, and then sputter water and blobs of the salt. Then the anhydrous salt melts at high temperatures, while decomposing to calcium oxide, nitrogen(IV) oxide, oxygen and nitrogen. I think it might depend on the temperature because some sources don't mention nitrogen and/or oxygen.
Anyway, you have the melt from which gasses evolve, and solid calcium oxide precipitates. It can trap the nitrate melt that's evolving gases, which might cause bumping. It might(!), in extreme cases, cause mild explosion, if the vessel is larger.
The melt is very hot, so you don't want any bursts or stresses and cracks in the vessel.

It's easy when you have products that are in liquid state at the given temperature, but CaO will precipitate out as a solid that will leave a hard residue that you'll have to dissolve in hydrochloric acid. I'd try this with gram amounts first.

However, the fact it liberates oxygen is helpful because that way nitrogen dioxide will be converted to nitric acid in contact with water more easily.
As with all nitrates, don't apply pressure. Let the apparatus be at 1 atm for the sake of safety.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 04:48

No ─ short answer . . .
Decomposition temp is likely to be high, and NO<sub>2</sub> <i>still</i> needs some kind of absorption tower!
Distilling HNO<sub>3</sub> from Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>/H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> is the way to go . . .

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 05:05

An alternative route if you insist on pyrolysis (or don't have H2SO4) is to react your Ca(NO3)2 with CuSO4 (in aqueous solution), filter out the resulting CaSO4, and decompose the copper nitrate with heat. I would still expect it to be messy but at least the temperatures would be low enough that you could do it in glass.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 05:11

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
No ─ short answer . . .
Decomposition temp is likely to be high, and NO<sub>2</sub> <i>still</i> needs some kind of absorption tower!
Distilling HNO<sub>3</sub> from Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>/H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> is the way to go . . .

Yeah, it's very hot.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040603196...

It would be a tricky, dangerous, and expensive (heat!) procedure. Not to mention the borosilicate glass would start sagging. Quartz glass wouldn't, but if he has the money for such vessels, he can buy the goddamn nitric acid, too. :D
But hey, he insists on pyrolysis. :D

Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 05:29

Pyrolysis would be too difficult if you start with calcium nitrate. Try to react it to form iron o copper nitrate, which will be easier to manage.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 06:43

pour a stoichiometric amount of conc H2SO4 into a saturated soln of Ca(NO3)2, most of the calcium will precipitate as the sulfate, filter..for many practical purposes it won't even be necessary to distill ;)

i did the math for the molarity, and it boils down to:

[HNO3] = 2 / ( 1/[Ca(NO3)2] + 1/[H2SO4] )

assuming (as found in some other thread) 121.2g Ca(NO3)2 dissolves in 100ml of solution at 20°C, which corresponds to 7.386M, and taking 18M H2SO4, this results in 10.47M HNO3. higher temperatures probably afford a higher concentration of Ca(NO3)2, and it might be possible to reach the 15M of 68% HNO3 or even higher in just one step.

in terms of purity, you'll fare even better if you start with barium nitrate instead of the calcium salt (the Ca precipitates almost quantitatively)..unfortunately Ba(NO3)2 is not as soluble, and your product concentration will suffer in return.

question. does anyone have data on the solubility of calcium of barium nitrate in the presence of HNO3? if this was reasonable, then one could start over with the solution from step 1 instead of water and reach even higher concentrations =D
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 07:27

If strong nitric is required, it's more efficient to convert Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> to NaNO<sub>3</sub> using Na<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> before distilling!

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 12:04

If strong nitric is required, it's more efficient to convert Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> to NaNO<sub>3</sub> using Na<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> before distilling!

Why? I don't see what difference it makes using Ca(NO3)2 or NaNO3 if you are just going to throw it in with conc H2SO4 and distill.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 02:37

When Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> is added to conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>, insoluble CaSO<sub>4</sub> forms as a coating on the granules, which locks in nitrate and prevents further reaction.
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 04:30

what granules? you're supposed to dissolve the calcium nitrate first.

Edit: nvm, not for your distillation procedure

[Edited on 30-9-2012 by tetrahedron]
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 05:35

When Ca(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> is added to conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>, insoluble CaSO<sub>4</sub> forms as a coating on the granules, which locks in nitrate and prevents further reaction.

But if you use NaNO3, then Na2SO4 forms a coating on the NaNO3 crystals. (assuming 98% H2SO4 and dry NaNO3).
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 05:42

sodium hydrogen sulphate is soluble in hot H2SO4 but CaSO4 isn't, by the way I would like that someone try to make nitric acid using copper nitrate thermal decomposition. I'm still working on ammonia by the Ostwald process but I need more ammonia, when it will be done I will make a prepublication of the process.

I never asked for this.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 06:37

Quote:
. . . what granules? you're supposed to dissolve the calcium nitrate first.

Yes, but that will give dilute acid!
Sodium bisulphate's solubility is sufficient to react smoothly giving a full yield of fuming HNO<sub>3</sub>!

tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

sad.gif posted on 30-9-2012 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
I'm still working on ammonia by the Ostwald process but I need more ammonia, when it will be done I will make a prepublication of the process.

i saw your post with the pics of your prototype Ostwald process and i was impressed, can't wait to read your writeup

at any rate, since this thread is all about generating HNO3 from nitrate salts, do you think copper is the best cation as far as pyrolysis goes?

what if the only source of nitrate available is NaNO3, and no conc H2SO4? is there a way to metathesize that to a more useable reagent? (even potassium can be precipitated with bitartrate, or cobaltinitrite, but what about sodium?)
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 14:54

I don't know if it is the best but many aspect make it a very good candidate. First all old procedure to generate nitrogen dioxide use it. Second copper have a low decomposition temperature and copper salts are pretty cheap and easy to work with. lead nitrate decompose too but temperature is higher and lead salt are toxic.

Sodium nitrate mixed with copper sulphate and heated will make nitrogen dioxide and oxygen at a low temperature.

I never asked for this.
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 15:48

it should also be possible to regenerate this copper nitrate by absorbing nitrogen oxides (coming e.g. from Ostwald or Birkeland-Eyde) in the leftover CuO..although this sounds circuitous given the end purpose

OTOH 'homemade' copper nitrate will be heavily hydrated so you'd be distilling diluted acid

[Edited on 30-9-2012 by tetrahedron]
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 14:36

One time I melted potassium nitrate in a small stainless steel cup, then I connected the negative electrode to the cup, and I connected the positive electrode to a stainless steel spoon. As soon as I touched the spoon into the fused KNO3, it made copious amounts of brown gas I assume was nitrogen dioxide. And KNO3 melts easy at low temperature.
I know it's probably not very efficient, I guess a lot of the NO2 reacts with the stainless steel, and like has already been said, the NO2 needs an absorption tower to make nitric acid.
Imran
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 10:47

Can you make absorbtion column youself? Would a plastic bucket full of glass shards work?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 11:54

It'd work to some extent but some NO<sub>2</sub> would still escape, requiring a fume-cupboard since the gas is toxic . . .
See the wiki for NO<sub>2</sub>.
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:03

shannon, how did the spoon hold up?

with proper cooling the N2O4 can be liquefied and subsequently reacted with ice cold water in a controlled way.
Imran
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:14

Yes below 21°C NO2 should be liquid which would be much easier to dissolve in water.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:43

I always thought Ca(NO3)2 would be a better NO3- **BANG** for your buck than Chili Saltpeter. Don't even see Chili Saltpeter in the local landscaping stores (next to the dried blood, etc.) I guess Na is just not the best thing for crops< Or was NaNO3 targeted as well.

So dry distillation of Ca(NO3)2 w/ bisulphate will give good results? No gypsum plug? Dry disassociation ^ of Ca(NO3)2 just seems very brute, it, never really occurred to me. Maybe a solar concentrator to get things going.
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 13:43

I only put the spoon into the fused KNO3 for about 5 seconds, just long enough to test the idea. I abandoned the idea, and never did any further test.
At the time, my plan was to make liquid NO2/N2O4 and use it like liquid oxygen. Mix it with gasoline or maybe charcoal. But I abandoned the idea after determining the the explosives would be too sensitive, too poisonous and not store able.
I have read somewhere that take liquid NO2 /N2O4 and vigorously mix it with diluted nitric acid, then let it set, two layers will form, one of those layers will be almost 100% nitric acid.
I have tried to find that book again, but I can't. I think it was written in 18 hundreds.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 14:01

Actually RFNA can make energetic mix with liquid or solid fuel, this summer I had made 20ml of RFNA using 5 time theoretical excess of 96% sulphuric acid. Before I diluted it I tried few experiments I had absorbed half a milliliter in a charcoal piece and lighted it, it burned extremely vigorously. I also dropped 1 drop on nitril glove and it self ignited.

Nitrogen dioxide dissolve really well in water but 1/3 of it is lost as nitrogen monoxide, but if Nitrogen monoxide is oxygen rich, 4 gas absorption flask are present and gas chamber between each gas absorption flask is used less than 1% nitrogen dioxide is lost.

I never asked for this.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top