Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pipetting 100% nitric acid
Kiwichemicali
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 02:12
Pipetting 100% nitric acid

Nitric acid with a concentration of 100% is very mobile. I tried to use a volumetric pipette to transfer some of it but was very successful since it drips out with every little movement.
What kind of pipette should I use?

Kiwi.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 11:19

Flame dried Pasteur pipette will do it, just clean it out and don't suck out with your mouth, always use pipette ball. Or use a volumetric pipette.

If it drips, then don't move it over yourself or anything what could ignite e.g: paper.

P.S.: just glass equipment, plastic should be forgotten. I know someone who have accidentally poured some 100% HNO3 on his gloves... It ignited and burned to his skin...

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 04:30

I second the pasteur pipette idea. If you don't have one, a medium glass capillary tube can be heated to its melting point and as the glass becomes soft, pull the two ends apart slowly, let cool and snap-off the middle of narrowed part, that will make two fine-end pasteur pipettes and it should have enough surface tension to keep the HNO3 in it.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---

Go To Top