Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: laboy: teflon tubing?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 18:59
laboy: teflon tubing?

http://www.laboyglass.com/index.php/clamps-and-accessories/t...

before I go and do something dumb I'd like to ask you all: if this really is a flouroelastomer/ carbon based tubing do you of Sci mad think it would hold up to the mechanical abuse? I mean the largest size ( ID) of tubing they have is 8 mm but a lot of the barbed outlets the use is 10mm or so. Adding to that will it hold up to Hoffman clamps and the like? Opinions, comments and remarks greatly appreciated.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 13:18

Don't know about their Teflon tubing in particular, but most of it is stiff, and hard to use with barbs and such, unless it fits perfectly. Most systems that use Teflon tubing use compression fittings, which do work moderately well with Teflon tubing, but even those fitting can come loose or fail if put under much stress. It also does not take abuse well, as it does not flex much, so it creases and kinks easily.

If you are looking for tubing for gases, I would go for something simpler, like Tygon, silicone rubber, or polyethylene rigid tubing (which is also stiff, but way cheaper than Teflon). If you are trying to handle liquids, then Teflon (or similar fluoropolymers that are also mostly rigid) will work, but you have to design well not to leak. WL Gore makes a great peristaltic tubing from some special fluoropolymer that is awesome, flexible to well below 0C, resistant to nearly everything on earth, but it costs more than nearly anything also. But I have used it, and it is the best stuff I have ever seen for liquids. Even TFA and DCM don't bother it.
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 08:33

Tygon is good stuff and comes in a huge number of formulations, including PFA/FEP lined, which should withstand just about anything. It's cheap when purchased surplus. I bought 100' of B-44-4X from eBay, and it was labeled "Coca Cola company"!

encipher
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 08:40

Dr. Bob is right. I use teflon tubing at low pressures up to ~300 psi with compression fittings and those hold up pretty well (it is smaller tubing though, 1/8" or ~3.2mm) . As for barbs, I don't see that happening with teflon. Maybe polyflow...

Go To Top