Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Wick Filter/Open Air Siphon
CosmicSunset
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 22:30
The Wick Filter/Open Air Siphon

I've read about something called a wick filter, aka an open air siphon. It's a method of filtration that uses capillary action in a wick-like material to draw a fluid out of one container into another, leaving any precipitates behind while drawing solutes along.

From what I understand this is the filtration method of choice when the desire is to remove a fluid and retain non-soluble particles for further use. With this type of filter the particles are left on the bottom of the first container rather than being trapped in the filter and having to be collected out somehow.

I would like to use this method in a project I'm working on but I don't know where to obtain a suitable "wick filter" material. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would dental floss or a strip of chamois cloth work well? Those are the only two suggestions I've found online.

I'm wondering if it's even necessary or if I should just use standard paper filters and scrape them since that's all I can seem to find on the lab suppliers' websites.

thanks in advance!!
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 01:23

why not just use a real wick? =D replacements are sold wherever you can buy kerosene lamps.

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S000925090400970...

Quote:
The capillary siphon is a device capable of transporting a liquid from a higher level to a lower level by capillary action under gravity. The device is usually configured in an inverted U-shape with an intake end and a discharge end.

btw what are you trying to filter that filter paper won't do?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 02:35

Just decant first if possible, then vac filter and wash your percipitate. No need to take your shoelaces out...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top