Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Smokeless
login
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 15:51
Smokeless

maybe this hobby is considered old-fashioned, but I most like to experiment with black powder, but I have a problem with the smoke it produces. anyone know the recipe to make a smokeless?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 16:30

"Smokeless powder" has largely repalced black powder and most other oxidizer/fuel compositions in modern firearms.
And by smokeless powder, I mean cellulose nitrate. It is quite easy to prepare on an amatuer lab scale, and uses readily availabe (dependant on location and resourcfullness?) reagents.

The forum search engine will yield a multitude of good threads.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 19:20

If you want to experiment with BP pressures .... Pyrodex and Triple 7 are
A great substitute.
Non sulfur based and don't require special solvents to clean firearms/cannons etc.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 04:39

I got enthusiastic with the smokeless idea and took my 8mm barrel, with 4mm wall thickness. I stuffed a little nitrated cotton piece and a fuse. It fired very well from not much of the NC. Then I took the same barrel and placed little azide around the fuse(priming caps contain primary right? why should my cotton be ignited only with a flame?) I stuffed quite a lot of NC, like 5cm down the barrel and a lead ball. It detonated very violently. The barrel was surrounded by planks witch were brutally cut and split. It was just like picirc acid. The part of the barrel with the NC was pulverized totally. That same barrel withstanded being loaded with much more KClO4/C/S with ETN mixed in it, with a headvy bolt as a projectile and took it without any problem, but the NC pulverized it. There were people here claiming that NC requires a booster. My NC doesn't even burn as fast as the NC from the guys in youtube. Obviously I'll avoid azides but how to make my NC detonation resistant?
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 07:46

How much azide didu use . I think you have had used lots of aside due to which your metal pipe pulverized and may be your nitrocellulose didn't detonated at all it might be the work of azide because nitrocellulose couldn't be detonated sob easily or may be the large amounts of azide detonated the NC also this time try thick pipe with less azide

Girls break promises like a small child breaks pencil tips so don't trust girl bcoz no girl=no tension
Simbani
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 08:02

I detonated NC (70%HNO3/H2SO4 1:2) as a base charge with a 1g ETN/RDX detonator. The NC was pressed in a aluminium pipe ID 15mm 1mm thickness (slightly damp because of pressing purposes). The Vdet was ~6000m/s and did reasonable damage to a steel plate.
NC is relatively insensitive, but i think it´s possible to (partially) detonate without sec. HE base, especially when confined strongly.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 08:13

I used volume of azide about as equal to a match head. Thicker pipe, that's funny. All where there was NC, there was no pipe. So this time it'll burst to not so little pieces, but bigger ones :D Highly nitrated NC can sustain it's detonation in a straw, just like tetryl and picric acid. I bet that 20ml of well pressed NC will make a good booster, not too far behind picric acid. It'll be more bad ass then those lame ass APAN boosters.

Go To Top