Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Appropriate vacuum trap
Amy Winehouse
Harmless

Mood: Saucy

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 18:47
Appropriate vacuum trap

Hey everyone, I have a question:

I need to distill the water off of a slightly acidic solution (a small amount of hcl in it). I don't want to mess up my metal vacuum pump. An aspirator won't pull a vacuum strong enough for my purposes. My question is how I could use NaOH to set up a trap. My idea:

Fill a drying tube with dry NaOH and place it between the distillation setup and my vacuum.

The traps i've seen that sigma-aldrich sell do something similar to this, but they use KOH, which begs the question:

Will dry HCl gas react with dry NaOH? I can't assume there will be humidity, but is humidity even necessary? If i had an ideally anhydrous hcl gas and passed it over dry NaOH in an ideally dry environment will it react?

HCl(g)+NaOH(s)---> H2O(g)+NaCl(s)?
HCl(g)+NaOH(s)---> H2O(l)+NaCl(s or aq)
Hcl(g)+NaOH(s)--->jack shit?

Thanks all =]

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-Colonel Sanders
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 18:54

KOH or NaOH, same thing in this case. Water will be produced so this seems like a good idea. Do you have a way to increase the contact surface of the NaOH with the gas? You want to make sure that it is entirely "washed" before it reaches your pump!

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top