Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fischer speier esterification
Furboffle
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2012 at 19:36
Fischer speier esterification

I've attempted the Fischer-speier reaction involving indole-acetic acid and methanole to convert IAA to its methyl ester. Initially I did this with 350mL of methanol, 5g IAA and 10 drops 98% sulfuric acid. The solution turned reddish and I ended up with a reddish brown oil. Intended product should be a tan crystal. Upon reattempting this reaction I used 35mL methanol, 500mg IAA, and 6 drops h2so4. This time the solution ended as a golden color and left me with the tan crystal I expected. I assume the issue was not enough acid catalyst to drive the reaction in the right direction. Being as I don't have access to ms/gc, ir, or NMR at home I don't have a means of identifying the first attempt product: the red brown oil. I'm wondering what mechanism could be possibly expected between a carboxylic acid and an alcohol if the acid catalyst wasn't present in large enough quantities to intitiate esterification?
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 01:00

I would expect the indole ring to be a bit sensitive to concentrated acid. Maybe you can use a milder catalyst, such as toluene sulphonic acid or an acid ion-exchange resin, and/or absorb the water with a molecular sieve in a Soxhlet.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 04:21

Solution of ccH2SO4 with methanol in presence of oxygen is used for the indentification of in indolic compounds.

I also used it and it is an awesome reagent. Just add some ccH2SO4 to a little methanol, heat it up, place the indole in it and wait a bit, or bubble some O2 through it. Colorination will occour.

This is why indole chemistry is a bit harder, it react the way didn't hope.

P.S.: I know that the IAA esters are really nice fluorescent stuffs, but you won't do any 'bad' with them, right?

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  
P.S.: I know that the IAA esters are really nice fluorescent stuffs, but you won't do any 'bad' with them, right?

I knows it easy from here to get to certain compounds... But I'm actually looking to make beta-Carbolines. (Which its fluoresence is what im actually wanting)Get from here to tryptamine. Perform an eschweiler-Clarke methylation, which with tryptamines causes ring closure rather than methylation..

Melatonin(5-meo-n-acetyl-tryptamine) would probably be a better starting point which Ill probably do, hydrolysis of melatonin should give 5-meo-tryptamine followed by eschweiler to yield that..

Quote: Originally posted by paddywhacker  
Maybe you can use a milder catalyst...

Definitely, I don't why that didn't phase me before. Gambling with this working or destroying the indole isn't exactly a good starting point. I'm curious though how the molecular sieve would be important? Does aqueous acids such as sulfuric hinder the reaction at all? Is dry alcoholic acid conditions better? Maybe I'm not getting the right reasoning but if I'm right water is generated by Fischer-speier so it would be present anyway. Could you elaborate on that?

Edit: then again using a Soxhlet would continuously remove generated h2o.... This is interesting the more I think about it

[Edited on 19-10-2012 by Furboffle]
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by Furboffle  
Edit: then again using a Soxhlet would continuously remove generated h2o.... This is interesting the more I think about it[Edited on 19-10-2012 by Furboffle]

Just today I made an ester synthesis of a lactic acid like thing. The main problem was that with mineral acids the OH and the COOH was also methylated. I just opened Vogel and looked up esterifications.

The one that I have chosen used a acidic resin as a catalyst and the generated water was removed by benzene from the reaction (I used cyclohexane instead of it). It worked awesome! The generated water just distilled over, I used a dean stark trap to collect the generated water and the workup is also easy, just filter out the resin (could be reused) and just simply distill of the excess solvents.

So you don't need to use H2SO4, HCl or any stong acid, just think a bit and read a few article, I'm sure that you will find a better recipe for this(:

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top