Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with thermite
j paul
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 03:35
Help with thermite

I am no expert but....

for reducing silicon, try using ground glass instead of the sand. Window glass melts at about 1000 degrees and contains 9% calcium, which will react with the sulphur, giving a calcium sulphide in the slag and possibly a sulphur free product.

Is there anyone out there who has been using thermites for a long time and who has a spot where they dump there slag. If so would you mind having a look at your old slags to see if there is any evidence that it as started to devitrify, to grow small crystals in its surface? I am interested because I am thinking about the possibility of using thermite to test a theory I have, that pegmitites are formed as glasses and then devitrify.

On a different note how much by volume of; glass, surfer, aluminium, and charcoal would be needed to make a lump of silicon carbide? If it is possible.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 10:48

Pegmatites are the leftover mineral soups from crystallization of igneous rock compositions. The generally form deep underground. The large mineral crystals found in them means they couldn't have been glasses. Perhaps you're thinking they stayed liquid for a longer time? They might stay liquid for quite a bit longer then the batholith. If you're going to formulate a theory about this you have a lot of physical chemistry and thermodynamics to go through. When you put the science together I'd be interested to read about it.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top