Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab hotplate with stirrer on a budget?
Polesch
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 10:04
Lab hotplate with stirrer on a budget?

I'm looking for a hotplate with magnetic stirring in the price-range of 180-250 USD, which excludes many of popular brands. Have any of you had any good experience with cheaper (Chinese) brands?

Just one example:

Both the MS300 and 400 look pretty neat, and has some additional functions that are very practical, but what about durability? Quality? Resistance? Power output? Would anybody have a review or feedback?

Do you think buying a more credible brand is worth the extra money? Like a corning, IKA or stuart?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 10:34

Quote: Originally posted by Polesch  
I'm looking for a hotplate with magnetic stirring in the price-range of 180-250 USD, which excludes many of popular brands. Have any of you had any good experience with cheaper (Chinese) brands?

Just one example:

Both the MS300 and 400 look pretty neat, and has some additional functions that are very practical, but what about durability? Quality? Resistance? Power output? Would anybody have a review or feedback?

Do you think buying a more credible brand is worth the extra money? Like a corning, IKA or stuart?

Personally my opinion is don't do it. The Chinese hot plates have awesome specs but they often don't live up to them. Digital displays and controls are no good if they aren't accurate. Best option is to save a bit more and buy a used brand name machine on eBay. I bought a used Corning pc-420D with stir/heat and digital displays etc for 280$. It works awesome and I have never had any problems, nor am I afraid to leave it on at a set temperature and do something else without it drifting etc. If you go with non digital models the price is lower and you can still get a nice used corning/IKA. I also have an old PMC plate which has been to hell and back and still works, another brand you may want to check out..
kadriver
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 16:21

Hello:

I bought this one on ebay for $190 shipped.

It has a pyroceram coating (like corningware casserole).

Sorry for sideways picture - I haven't figured out all the features of this forum.

P1220363a.jpg - 137kB
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 16:44

Quote: Originally posted by kadriver  
Hello:

I bought this one on ebay for $190 shipped.

It has a pyroceram coating (like corningware casserole).

Sorry for sideways picture - I haven't figured out all the features of this forum.

I love the PC-351. Used one in college labs and now I have one for myself. The thing is bombproof.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-11-2012 at 17:11

look into electrical cappuccino milk frothers ;p
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-11-2012 at 11:16

look into used equipment! All my hot plate/stirrers are used and work fine and cost less than $50 US.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top