Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Now that is what I call a home lab.
plasticraincoat1
Harmless

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 11:57

WGTR thanks for your gracious and polite reply. I have sent you a U2U message. best regards :)

plasticraincoat
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 12:28

plasticraincoat1, your lab is absolutely beautiful! Its a piece of art. Who cares if you haven't got the latest NMR equipment. The number of forum members that put even 1/10th of the effort and dedication into building their lab must be very small (and I'm certainly not among them).

Has Thomas Edisons 'Menlo Park' laboratory inspired you by any chance? I can see some similarities, including the organ. If not, you should have a look, you would probably like it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Menlo_Par...

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 15:53

I personally think it is an incredible lab! Its great to see such devotion and love go into the hobby. It might be everyone's fancy, but I'm sure everyone would love to have it!

I have long admired your videos on YouTube, and was fascinated by the sealed sample of NO2 that you had! Kudos to you my friend!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 17:37

You have (had) a beautiful lab which you surely love. I was horrified to see it trashed and hope that you can recover all or most of it.

If you don't mind my asking I'm wondering about your relations with the local authorities. Surely they are fully aware of such a large lab. Do you have special permissions or licenses? Are you periodically inspected for proper chemical labeling, storage, waste disposal, etc? Are there any limitations imposed by the authorities? This has to be of great interest to many of us here who are under the impression that having a home lab is, if not illegal, highly frowned on.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 5-10-2013 at 17:58

This was not the kind of lab that someone walked into, and thought, "Oh, no! A meth lab!" Or, "He's making a bomb!" It looked more like a sacred place of meditation, a place to go to for inspiration. I would hope that the authorities left him alone.
plasticraincoat1
Harmless

Mood: :)

smile.gif posted on 6-10-2013 at 15:03
Now that's what I call a home lab

Hi guys thanks for your kind comments greatly appreciated. To answer some of your questions re the authorities etc. I once invited the head of the explosives branch up just to show them what I was doing to relay any suspicions ( many many years before any one had heard the word Islam etc) The head guy was really present and laid back but his want to be looked at every bottle with great interest and came across and antique bottle labeled pot nitre - he took great delight in apologising for doing his job and tipped it down my sink! Anyway he didn't know what pot chloras was thank goodness ! Chemistry in the uk is generally safe as long as you are not really a meth lab or doing something illegal ( which I don't ). It's a bit like driving thought read lights or without lights at night if you do you will be caught and if abide by the law there's nothing to fear ( hopefully in a sane and reasonable society ). Mind you from some of the unfair and over reaction stories I've read in Europe I'm not so confident! Anyway my now 7th lab is on tis way to being viewed soon and I hope to publish loses more unusual experiments on the web for your and others interests in the goal to make chemistry accessible to all.

plasticraincoat
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 15:58

Alright, that's enough. You've evidently come here to brag about your lab, vie for admiration, and <a href="viewthread.php?tid=26529">start arguments</a> with our members. Contribute something of value, or leave.

If you absolutely must whore for attention, go back to YouTube.

[topic closed]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top