Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MMO anode
jhonn
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 15:58
MMO anode

I bought this MMO anode at ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-1-Expanded-Titanium-with-MMO-Coa...

I would like to know the maximum current density that these anodes can handle without being damaged. Also, any other care must be taken to avoid damage? I don't know its surface area because it is a mesh electrode (it would be 10 square inches, if it was a sheet),does anyone has an idea on how to calculate the area?
Swede
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2012 at 06:49

The mesh ends up being about equivalent in surface area to a solid sheet. If you sandwich the anode between two cathodes, the surface area will be approximately 2 X the area of one side, so a 3" X 5" mesh anode would have a 30 square inch area. One cathode, and the bulk of the current is coming from one side, so call it 15 square inches.

As far as current density... the recommended CD is around 250 mA per square centimeter, but I am convinced it can be higher, perhaps much higher. I've gone over 500 mA with no problems. MMO is tough stuff chemically. Realize that pH control does two important things... it dramatically increases overall efficiency, and importantly, it helps inhibit oxidation of Ru. Voltage should not be much higher than 5 or 6 VDC... 3 to 4 is more typical.

Most of the work in MMO is done by the electrocatalytic action of RuO2. At high pH, which is going to happen naturally with no pH control, some of the RuO2 (insoluble) can convert to RuO4 (soluble) and you can have losses.

I've personally not seen this, but again, I don't have the sort of milligram balance that can detect this, and I have since gone to pH control.

Overall: again, MMO is tough. You can soak it in concentrated mineral acids with little effect. In fact, I use HCl to clean them. Go ahead and use it with little fear of degradation.

Go To Top