Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thread merging and recycling...
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 18:45
Thread merging and recycling...

I was recently reading through old threads in Chemistry in General and Organic Chemistry. By old threads, I mean threads that have been largely forgotten, threads that are several years old and that have not resurfaced since.

It seems like the information in these threads is not as outdated as we might think. In fact, the information is often quite useful. An example; a thread at the very bottom of the pile on the synthesis of formaldehyde from formic acid:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=168
This short thread could be merged with countless other threads discussing the synthesis of formaldehyde from methanol/hexamine/paraformaldehyde/urea formaldehyde/methanol &cetera... which could then also be merged together under a collective title.

My question; is it worth merging common topics and threads together in order to form a more complete and useful cumulative thread? No matter what we might think, at the end of the day, there are only several popular topics that just keep coming up. Among beginners, the synthesis of sulfuric acid, hydrogen peroxide, benzene just to name a few; thread merging in these general areas would be most useful to begin with.

I understand that it would be a rather time consuming task, but I think it might save users and moderators alike a lot of time. Instead of telling people to UTFSE or endlessly repeat that a topic has been discussed before, we could probably concentrate on building tube furnaces, and electrolytic cells. If need be, I will volunteer for this kind of task.

I would like to mention that I understand this idea would work best largely for one kind of post, chemical syntheses. This kind of thread merging would not be nearly as useful for "problem solving" or "engineering type questions", as they are generally very specific and quickly resolved (generally).

Any thoughts?

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 27-11-2012 at 18:50

My question; is it worth merging common topics and threads together in order to form a more complete and useful cumulative thread?

I think if done in the correct way it would be helpful. By correct I mean not including pages of off topic conversation or myriads of not helpful posts since it would be impossible to find useful data or take so much time to read it was not worth it. Yet the man hours would be immense and no doubt those running the forum have work and family and lives to live too, too much of a time burden I would think. Especially when they receive no pay. Or some who have to pay to maintain the site for all. Too much to ask of them I believe.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2012 at 08:04

A solution to the problem has already been suggested time ago, but to no avail:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=18...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=18...

The possible reasons for lack of work in this directions could be:
a) nobody ever searches the forum for a specific topic;
b) some do searches, but don't bother reviewing and posting the results;
c) members don't give a damn for other members interested on the same topic.

Go To Top