Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Very odd reaction
Nickbb
Harmless

Mood: something other than a chemistry pun

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 13:57
Very odd reaction

I've noticed that when you dissolve iron out, which is sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydrosulfite, and then dissolve sodium bisulfate in it it will suddenly turn dark orange and then slowly turn clear. What could possibly be going on here??
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 15:53

Pardon me for asking to reformulate, not the question specifically, but the event you reported if you tell a little more about how you dissolved the iron, would be cool.
Iron has a rather not well undestood chemistry in aqueous solutions, its important to clarify the very conditions of the experiment so we put our Vac's close to an idea.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 16:01

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  
Pardon me for asking to reformulate, not the question specifically, but the event you reported if you tell a little more about how you dissolved the iron, would be cool.
Iron has a rather not well undestood chemistry in aqueous solutions, its important to clarify the very conditions of the experiment so we put our Vac's close to an idea.

There is no iron present.

Without pointing to any specifics, it is probably an intermediate in the acidic decomposition of the hydrosulfite.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 16:06

Quote: Originally posted by Nickbb  
I've noticed that when you dissolve iron out, which is sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydrosulfite
Do you mean to dissolve the iron out of some solution, or do you mean "Iron Out", a brand named product that scavenges dissolved iron? I suspect the latter, but without using capitalization or even, egads!, explaining that it's a consumer product, the responses you get may not be as helpful as you would like.
Nickbb
Harmless

Mood: something other than a chemistry pun

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 16:14

It is the product Iron Out

Go To Top