Author: Subject: Lithium from Batteries
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

thumbup.gif posted on 2-8-2004 at 14:07

Quote:
No hard feelings, k?

no worries at all.

actually, the post above reminded me; NH3(l) reduces alkali metals to form -1 anions. it makes me wonder; if you added, say, NaCl to NH3(l), would you get Na(s)?

if so, i'm heavily considering distilling some NH3 to 100%, collecting the gas then pressuring it like crazy in a container filled with NaCl;)

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 14:09

Won't work as the anion is still there, it will dissolve though, I think NaCl is slightly soluble in NH3. But it will not form the beautiful blue solutions associated with solvated electrons.

Reverend Necroticus Rex, LiCl is only slightly soluble in pyridine, this was mentioned in the thread making lithium metal by one of our members that attempted electrochemical production to produce lithium in this manner. I don't know if the difference in electronegativity is enough to force this reaction foreword without additional prodding.

[Edited on 8/2/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 00:57

Today I dissected my second Li battery. This time, when I had unrolled the whole coil, all the Li was still silver. I wanted to store the Li in a fresh container of mineral oil, so I quickly pulled it out and dunked in the new container. Unfortunately, there were air bubbles stuck to it and I didnt realise, so about 10 min later, when I looked at the Li again, it was brownish.

Right now, its still kinda streaming bubbles, and its almost 3 hours later :mad: How much air is trapped in this wad :mad: So much for silver Li...

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 09:32

I don't think that air in the wad is the cause of the streams of bubbles. I think the bubbles are a result of you mineral oil still having a small content of water.

When I made some Na a while back, when I placed it in mineral oil, I too got those bubbles.
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 10:22

If you stored the mineral oil with some CaCl2 or MgSO4 (anhydrous of course) might that help dry the oil?

I have never tried it, as the mineral oil I used was brand new- no water. In the future it might be useful though!

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 12:31

It's not just the water in the oil, but possibly components of the oil reacting too.
For my potassium I used lamp oil (clear low chain paraffins, as it said on the back), and the potassium hasn't changed appearance to half a year ago.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 13:28

Quote:
CaCl2 or MgSO4

their cations very well may be replaced by the Li

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 20:40

True, but I would dry the oil, filter/remove out the drying agent, and then put in the lithium.

Now if the drying agent sank, this would not be a problem as lithium floats:)...

unless the drying agent was soluble in mineral oil, but I doubt CaCl2 is (enough to be a problem).

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 16:17

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought it more appropriate than starting yet another Li from batteries thread. Has anyone here tried using a pipe cutter (the type used by plumbers to cut copper pipes, where the pipe is pressed by rollers onto a hard disc and rotated to score it until it's cut) to open the case of the battery? If it worked, it would most likely be quicker, cleaner, and easier than using a hacksaw or peeling with pliars.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 16:49

I can imagine it would work very nicely. Although I havent done it myself (with a battery), cutting copper pipe with one was easy and clean. Batterys could be cut right through the middle (careful to only cut the outer casing), the casing removed as two halves and then the foil unrolled after coating with mineral oil (or unroll it under oil),
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 17:02

I was thinking more along the lines of cutting right below the constriction. In my experience with cutting copper and brass pipes with those cutters, they tend to crush a bit before they cut. If the cut could be made high enough, perhaps it would avoid crushing and possibly shorting the foil. I'm not brave enough to try it at the moment. Anyone got the balls to try it first?

[edit]
I'm also concerned that the slight crushing of the case would make it difficult to pull the roll out.

[Edited on 7/4/09 by bfesser]
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 21:46

What size of lithium batteries have the most lithium in them for the least cost? I want to prepare butyl lithium in ether for some up coming synthesises. I disassembeld a older D size lithium battery several years ago and obtained a large amount of lithium foil. I kept the lithium under xylene and used a paper towel to prevent exposure to the atmosphere. Within several months, the lithium had decomposed to a white-gray colored mass. What is the best method for storing the lithium extracted from batteries? I have not seen any of the D sized batteries in local stores.

[Edited on 4-7-2009 by benzylchloride1]

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 05:52

Crushing of the pipe/battery should be minimal if you increase the pressure very slowly with respect to the number of rotations you do. To cut a standard copper pipe, I would expect about 20-30 rotations should be about right, and the same should be attempted for the battery. You can easily cut in 7-10 rotations, but the cut is poor (aforementioned crushing). You cant cut right at the top of the battery; its hard to explain why, but you need enough pipe either side of the blade in order to cut - at least 1cm on each side (although you need more on one side so you can hold it - a battery should probably be held gently in a vice and then cut as far to one end as possible (I expect about 10-12mm from the top or so).
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:17

Quote: Originally posted by benzylchloride1  
What is the best method for storing the lithium extracted from batteries?

Under mineral oil, in a jar completely filled with oil (ie no head space of air), followed by inverting the jar to keep air from diffusing in through the cap.

[Edited on 4-7-09 by The_Davster]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top