Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Picamilon - Synthesis ideas?
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 22:01
Picamilon - Synthesis ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picamilon

So, searching the forum for this has brought up absolutely nothing... For such a simple structure, you'd think even the front page of a google search would bring up a synthetic ref... I know that all drugs are touchy here, but without access to my old university assets all I can find are anecdotal reports with nothing relating to synthetic chemistry...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Pic...

Just look at the structure - Sooo simple... It literally is just a condensation of niacin and gaba... So, why no simple syntheses? Is it just that it's available that nobody's interested, so cheap that it's not worthwhile, so obscure that nobody with an interest in synthesis has found it, or so simple that nobody that has the resources wants to devote their time?

...I'm going stir-crazy in my current situation (only thing I can do for the last year is electronics) and this looks to me like simple kitchen chemistry - I could go to my grocery store and pick up reasonably pure gaba and niacin (pretty sure I have both USP tucked away somewhere anyway)... With the proper solvent and catalyst, I'm thinking ethanol and H2SO4, or perhaps the inclusion of 3A mol sieves, I'm thinking this should be a piece of cake - Is there something I'm missing here, or is it just that nobody cares enough to do it?

If you see me running, try to keep up.
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 07:07

...Damn, gotta remember not to post ideas when I'm drunk... Amide formation is not as simple as esterification, I should know better than that... However, I think I may have been on to something with the 3A sieves idea...

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/abstracts/lit2/391.shtm

...Heading to the local library in a bit to see if I can find the full version... On that note, anyone use ebscohost before scientific articles? I've only ever used it for looking up psychology and sociology papers...

If you see me running, try to keep up.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 07:25

Google is your friend!
This is the preparation of an analogue using Schotten-Baumann conditions;

Synthesis of α-chloropyridine derivatives of γ-aminobutyric acid. Kovganko, N. V.; Sokolov, S. N.; Chernov, Yu. G. Chemistry of Natural Compounds vol. 47 issue 5 November 2011. p. 781 - 782

The sodium salt of N-(6-chloronicotinoyl)-γ-aminobutyric acid, a structural analog of the known nootropic and vasidilating drug picamilon, was synthesized via Schotten–Baumann acylation of γ-aminobutyric acid with 6-chloronicotinoyl chloride and subsequent neutralization of the N-(6-chloronicotinoyl)-γ-aminobutyric acid that was obtained in >60% yield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schotten-Baumann_reaction
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 07:33

Quote: Originally posted by Intergalactic_Captain  
So, searching the forum for this has brought up absolutely nothing... For such a simple structure, you'd think even the front page of a google search would bring up a synthetic ref...

Is there a reason on why you limited your search to this forum and google? Why don't you check the scientific and patent literature? There are at least a couple of articles and plenty of patent applications on the synthesis of this compound.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top