Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A GOOD distilling setup?
docberto
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2005 at 17:45

I love my 19/22 Kimble Kontes organic chemistry kit that I picked up on eBay for less than $200. Here's one with two days left in bidding: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=75195...
Instead of the regular RBFs that are in my kit, this one has a triple-necked 500mL and a 250mL with a temperature sidearm.
Cyrus, I never knew those were called hose barbs. My friends and I always called those nipples. Nipple flask, nipple adapter, etc. Now I know what to tell custom glass people.
There should also be perfluorinated lubricants that you could use on joints. Fomblin is the brand name of one that came up when I searched. They are perfluorinated polyethers, so I doubt they will react with much.
expInfi
Harmless

Mood: Fine !

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 12:21
glass joint grease

I have a vacuum distillation apparatus I bought.I am a newbie to practical chemistry.But I did pretty well in my graduation.So recently I developed a lot of interest in practial chemistry and trying to do some safe things...I was trying to figure out a good glass joint grease .Inertness is the highest priority.I see some brands online..But wanted to check with people who really use them and can give a good practical advise !

Thanks in advance !

alchemist
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by expInfi  
I have a vacuum distillation apparatus I bought.I am a newbie to practical chemistry.But I did pretty well in my graduation.So recently I developed a lot of interest in practial chemistry and trying to do some safe things...I was trying to figure out a good glass joint grease .Inertness is the highest priority.I see some brands online..But wanted to check with people who really use them and can give a good practical advise !

Thanks in advance !
Click on the Search icon in the upper left hand corner. Enter "grease" as the search line, select "Subject", and "All forums". You will get about ten hits. There, wasn't that easy?

Exactly where was this graduation that you did pretty well in? Did the school have computers? Did they have practical laboratory exercises in the chemistry courses that you did pretty well in? Most people who have taken chemistry at the university level can function considerably above the newbie level.
expInfi
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 19:33

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  

Thanks in advance !
Click on the Search icon in the upper left hand corner. Enter "grease" as the search line, select "Subject", and "All forums". You will get about ten hits. There, wasn't that easy?

Exactly where was this graduation that you did pretty well in? Did the school have computers? Did they have practical laboratory exercises in the chemistry courses that you did pretty well in? Most people who have taken chemistry at the university level can function considerably above the newbie level.

1.I searched vacuum grease ,not grease.I will try grease alone now.
2.About the questions on my graduation.Your sarcasm does not deserve a reply.So that is ignored.

alchemist
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 20:45

2.About the questions on my graduation.Your sarcasm does not deserve a reply.So that is ignored.
No sarcasm intended. I just wondered why someone who claims some educational achievement cannot figure out what to grease joints with, for Gawd's sake. I suspect you don't have any chemicals and I certainly hope that you are not able to make cyanide.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by entropy51]
expInfi
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 21:51

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
No sarcasm intended. I just wondered why someone who claims some educational achievement cannot figure out what to grease joints with, for Gawd's sake. I suspect you don't have any chemicals and I certainly hope that you are not able to make cyanide.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by entropy51]

You are simply becoming unreasonably fearful.Google can tell you all sort of possible greases in this world.I asked precisely in my previous post that I wanted an opinion of someone who did it because only experience can teach you certain things.And it is just accidental that I refined the search with vacuum grease all the time that I didnt get the results.
I referred to my graduation because in the cyanide thread someone claimed that I do not have any clue on acid base reaction.I did not know that such revelations can come out from experts and just took an advanced bail for asking this simple question.
Anyway your interests about how my experiment should come out does not influence me anyway.So you are free to wish whatever you feel to.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by expInfi]

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by expInfi]

alchemist
expInfi
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 21:55

Anyway , grease search gives me some good links.Thanks for that.

alchemist
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 22:51

Unless I am wrong( and doing it wrong as well) the Teflon plumbers tape should be strong enough to both "lube" the joints AND still prevent contamination of the batch. Teflon joints sleeves work as well.
expInfi
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 23:29

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
Unless I am wrong( and doing it wrong as well) the Teflon plumbers tape should be strong enough to both "lube" the joints AND still prevent contamination of the batch. Teflon joints sleeves work as well.

Thank you! What temp range have you worked that with ? Is that inert even when strong acids are involved ?

alchemist
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 04:02

AND they can easily snap the joints. Proven fact...

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 06:34

i got a boiling flask and an adaptor arm siezed pretty tight right now after using teflon, pisses me off. i will try to heat it with a propane torch around the joint later today.i forgot i had keck clips but will use grease next time for sure.all in all i got the stoutest nitric i ever made and that made me run and buy new clamps and am looking for flasks and adaptors with thermometer ports on cr scientific that are affordable.grease is the word is the word! just now i freed the joints,all i did was hit it a couple of times with a rock and pulled it straight out.if i had twisted it off it would've broke for sure. yipee! oh! and it had a factory crack on the joint that withstood the heat,which is probably why it seized.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by cyanureeves]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 06:53

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

Yeah, I just broke my 14/20 claisen because of Teflon tape, at 100°C too!. Its thermal expansion is to blame, IIRC. See the "Bad days in the lab" thread for a pic of my ill fated claisen. ( I miss it so much:( )

Ohh, and for HNO<sub>3</sub> distillation, conc. H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> works great as joint grease, as long as minor sulfuric contamination is not a problem.

[Edited on 4-3-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 07:35

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

Well..crap( so much for avoiding the expense of the DOW grease...). I am guessing this applies to the joint sleeves as well as the tape?
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 08:20

Quote:
Yeah, I just broke my 14/20 claisen because of Teflon tape, at 100&deg;C too!.

I've not had any problems with teflon tape!
It should be wound carefully so that it doesn't build into a lump around the joint.
No more than six turns should be used.
And the joints shouldn't be rammed together with too much force . . .

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 12:02

say what you will but given that Nitric acid is being distilled wouldn't Teflon joint sleeves be preferable? fluorinated greases are an option but for acid work I just don't see grease being the best option... But as I often ask; correct me if I am wrong.
Edit: found a thread( from 2009) regarding ptfe but there HAS to be some lubricant that won't contaminate HNO3 when distilling it...aside from the tape or sleeves that is.

[Edited on 5-3-2012 by Funkerman23]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 14:33

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
just now i freed the joints,all i did was hit it a couple of times with a rock and pulled it straight out.
With a rock? Why not a crowbar or sledge hammer?

Hint: A piece of soft wood is less likely to break the glass.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top