Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fun, short Ebay story
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 13:10
Fun, short Ebay story

Quick and to the point, just sharing some information.

I purchased a small amount of "Osmium crystal" on Ebay, from a seller in Greece.

Osmium is pretty easily identified, density in the hand and it's blue tinge... What I recieved did not have these features.

So I took to a chemican analysis, having a scale which lacked the absolute accuracy, and not a definite way to accurately measure the volume of the sample (it was 2x the size, and weighed the same ~.23g as my personal sample).

Visually, it was a metal, soft and brittle. White, crystalline, but no shaped crystals.

I took a small piece (1/2 the size of a grain of rice) and put it in a small vial, added 2 drops of 34% HCL. No reaction at elevated temperatures.

Added 1 drop of water, and 1 drop of 70% HNO3. Reheated to around 70*C, and it developed a yellow tinge, and dissolved the metal.

On cooling, the liquid was stirred with 2 drops of water - a white insoluble precipitate formed - Sb2O3. Exactly what I thought.

So I contacted the seller, he's a bit clueless but will be sending me a full refund (I told him he can keep the shipping - It seems to me he was ripped off by whomever he purchased it from).

Just a cautionary tale, buying rare samples on Ebay from blurry pirctures from people who don't deal in chemicals ;)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 13:22

Quote:
Just a cautionary tale, buying rare samples on Ebay from blurry pirctures from people who don't deal in chemicals.

A careful perusal of the seller's feedback is always a good idea . . .

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 13:45

Did you see NurdRage's video where he showed his "rip-off" manganese dioxide, which was cut with sand?

On another note about eBay, look at this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLASS-GLASS-GLASS-/251211381097?pt...

half a pilot chemical production plant!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 14:25

This doesn't really relate to the story above, but speaking of eBay, has anyone ever brought up the idea of maybe making a thread that is for eBay related items only?

As in, if you found an interesting chemical or piece of glassware, or even a seller, you could make a post about it in that thread to share it with other people. It seems like there is always a thread popping up when someone has found something interesting on eBay. If it was all concentrated in the same thread, it might be easier to find stuff and easier to share with other people. Especially if it was a sticky.

Sorry if this idea has already been discussed. Just a thought... :)

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

Wizzard
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 14:28

Feedback was all fine, he wasn't a chemist ;) And I didn't spend much, but it was a bit frustrating.

Hex - That's a huge lot, for certain!!

Go To Top