Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problem (and how I solved it) downloading Brauer from Library
wiyosaya
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2013 at 09:31
Problem (and how I solved it) downloading Brauer from Library

As a result of a response to a forum post of mine, I attempted to download Brauer from the library. I had a lot of difficulty that I determined was due to the fact that I was not getting the full document each time I attempted the download.

To make the long story much shorter, I finally resolved the problem by using a download manager, in particular, Download Them All was what I used. Other download managers may work as well.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 15-1-2013 at 13:21

I myself don't have any issues downloading any files. But a few others have said they have had issues downloading. I may have to find another host, yet finding one that also offers a unique IP are limited and affordability is always a key factor.

All that glitters isn't gold.
wiyosaya
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2013 at 09:22

In the past, I have had problems with binary files that are uncompressed. The best reasoning that I have for those problems are that some of the binary characters are interpreted as "flow control" characters, and the transfer aborts.

If the file size is smaller after compression, I'll suggest that the files be "zipped" (since the "zip" format is ubiquitous and there are freeware programs that offer "zip" format for compression / decompression) then placed on the server. There is no guarantee that this will alleviate the problems, however, I am willing to test a download for you if that would help. Something like this might avoid finding another hosting service as changing the hosting service would not necessarily solve the problem if it is related to the client network or any of the hops inbetween. If you would like me to test something like this for you, perhaps with Brauer as a test file, please PM me.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2013 at 02:11

I'm also now having a few problems. I've contacted my webhost to see what the issues are.

It may be due down to the amount of traffic I'm getting (and the fact it's a cheap host..) In December I topped almost 125GB of traffic, and 194926 visitors.

It might be time to find a new host if I can't iron these problems out, which may mean the library might be temporary unavailable while I migrate hosts.

Hopefully it won't come to this though.

[Edited on 26-1-2013 by Eliteforum]

Eliteforum
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2013 at 04:12

Changes have been made. Can you please let me know if the problem still persists.

Eliteforum
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 11:18

Is anyone still having problems (timing out, corrupt downloads etc) with files from the library?

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 05:17
problems with the library

Well, I have no direct problems downloading for as by now Sat. afternoon in Europe, there is no such a thing. Nothing behind the links but "file not found on this server".

Hope this can be fixed
regards
/ORG
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 09:28

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
Well, I have no direct problems downloading for as by now Sat. afternoon in Europe, there is no such a thing. Nothing behind the links but "file not found on this server".

Hope this can be fixed
regards
/ORG

I get the same problem when trying to access the library, "not found".

In the meantime if anyone urgently needs a book PM me your email address and I will send it to you, I have most saved to HD.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 16:38

Brauer at least is available from the scanner. All of my scans are temporarily available at this exact instant, mediafire alleges.

Some of my scans, particularly Vogel, have been reworked by others; if you didn't download from the library or my links, check the file sizes. It is not possible for anyone else's version of my scans to have better image quality; djvu, Acrobat, and Finereader OCR doesn't always come out great, but it's not easy to do better. Although at least a couple thousand people have downloaded one of my versions of Vogel, many thousands more have downloaded lesser reworked versions. A couple files like Vogel, that I put out at first in djvu or without OCR in pdf, are now OCR'd pdf files; having tired of no page renaming function in djvu.

Got some of these this afternoon from an external hard drive which was then knocked over, losing (a copy of) hundreds of GB of journals and books. Good thing that Seagate model was (unbelievably) cheap enough at walmart for a pair...trying to make this a teaching moment but you've probably already had some...

Oh, and for y'all who think 4shared sucks so badly (of course it does), you'll get the "your computer is infected" type popups when downloading this stuff from mediafire, enjoy that.

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top