Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Furane based MTP analogues
SteveZissou
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2013 at 09:44
Furane based MTP analogues

Hello there! Long time lurker and first time poster, glad to be a part of a community of such intelligent and free-thinking folks like yourselves!

I did a quick search of ACS literature and some Googling and I couldn't find anything about this anywhere. My idea is very simple, I just want to take the structure of methiopropamine and replace the sulfur with an oxygen, the precursors for this are cheap and readily available and I'd just like to know what can be speculated on the activity of this compound.

The 3d structure would remain unchanged, the hybridization of oxygen would be similar, and therefore I expect structure activity relationships to remain essentially the same.

I haven't looked into the synthesis all that much but off the top of my head by using furfural as a starting point one could nitroaldol to the nitropropene, reduce with Al/Ga (not in literature but it works and I'll do a write up of a procedure I performed on a nitrostyrene with this if anyone would like, should work for the propene) then go to the formyl, reduce, and bada-bing you've got your compound.

The lack of literature on this compound worries me, I do have access to an IR so I know what I'm making though. Ring strain on the furfural's ether also gives me some worries, not sure if any of my proposed reactions would crack that baby.

I also know that MTP has considerable toxicity, this may transfer over.

tl;dr - Replace sulfur with oxygen in methiopropamine. Discuss.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2013 at 18:11

If you research their medicinal chemistry, you would find that a thiophene and a benzene ring are quite similar in their properties, since a S atom (being quite large) and an C=C double bond are similar in size and character. That is why thiophene and benzene are very similar in their chemistry, BP and reactivity. However, furan is much smaller than benzene, has some differences in chemistry, and does not act as much like a benzene as thiophene does. So I would be careful when experimenting with things.

And while Woodward did an amazing job using UV and IR, I would not ever consider doing even animal testing of an unknown compound without more data, such as a good NMR and LC-MS of a compound. I understand that some people are willing to ingest anything that they can buy, make, or steal, but having seen how hard it is to make compounds pure under the best conditions, I would never trust something that has not been tested well. I don't even like cheap generics from China, having seen the crap in some of them. So please be careful with what you experiment with.
SteveZissou
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-1-2013 at 19:43

Thanks for the excellent reply Bob!

I did consider the size differences as a potential problem, but did not know how much of a difference there was.

Upon further research I found a good article that compares the sizes of furan and thiophene:

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/38279...

The furan and thiophene rings have a difference in circumference of about 0.4 Angstroms; neglibile compared to benzene and thiophene which have a difference of 1.8 Angstroms yet MTP retains much of the action of it's amphetamine analogue. I was under the assumption that the aromaticity and propylamine sidechain played a bigger role in the structure-activity relationship.

Safety is a concern, but I have a good idea of what I'm doing and I'll be starting with sub mg doses if I decide to proceed and do a bioassay. At the moment this is pure speculation. And good god I wish I could afford a half decent LC-MS or NMR, I was lucky enough to get an affordable dated IR spec used.
paw_20
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 19-1-2013 at 16:09

Al/Ga reduction does work? I had been wondering if it would some months ago after reading the papers on it has a hydrogen 'storage' medium for a fuel cell, but it seemed that some of their graphs were showing rather small amounts of hydrogen on a molar basis being release even after a couple of hours. This specifically was the purdue paper comparing Al/Ga vs. an alloy they had developed of Al/Ga/In/Sn
SteveZissou
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2013 at 10:37

Yeah, I did manage to get it to work. I found smaller yields than would have been expected out of Hg/Al but not by much, I think the key to the process is making the alloy into pellets and slowing adding these to the rxn vessel. Two things:

1. Zn/HCl gives me better yields for nitrostyrenes but has a little more work-up due to the ZnO
2. Gallium is highly recoverable but is a royal pain in the ass to get out of the vessel; it wets everything

I'll have to post up something next time I do a reduction, not having to deal with mercury is a major plus.

Go To Top