Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can thermometer bulbs burst from too cold of air temperatures?
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 22-1-2013 at 19:21
Can thermometer bulbs burst from too cold of air temperatures?

I was wondering if my thermometers can burst or be damaged from being in too cold of air temperatures?

I ask, because for the past several days and the next several, up here in Duluth, Minnesota the air temp. has been around -20 F (-29 C) with a -40 F (-40 C) windshield. My lab is out in my garage, so I haven't been heating it the past several days, because it just takes too much fuel.

My thermometers are the mercury ones from Elemental Scientific and only designed to go down to -10 C. I would think that too high of temperatures would be a lot worse than the temp being too low, but I just wanted to be careful. Would the mercury just pool at the bottom of the thermometer and not really damage it unless the temps are really, really low?

For now, I am just storing the thermometers inside where it is warm. I am just curious as to when the bulb would burst, if at all... :)

[Edited on 23-1-2013 by sbbspartan]

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2013 at 20:01

Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  
For now, I am just storing the thermometers inside where it is warm. I am just curious as to when the bulb would burst, if at all.
The coefficient of liquid mercury is about an order of magnitude more than that for glass. That means that as it cools down, you're not going to burst anything. As always, though, rapid and/or uneven heating or cooling are bad for glass.

As long as the mercury doesn't freeze, you'll be fine. That's at -38.8 °C = -37.9 °F. Even if it freezes, the problem would be that you can get gas trapped between the reservoir and the thermometer might need servicing to get it registering temperature again.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  
For now, I am just storing the thermometers inside where it is warm. I am just curious as to when the bulb would burst, if at all.
The coefficient of liquid mercury is about an order of magnitude more than that for glass. That means that as it cools down, you're not going to burst anything. As always, though, rapid and/or uneven heating or cooling are bad for glass.

As long as the mercury doesn't freeze, you'll be fine. That's at -38.8 °C = -37.9 °F. Even if it freezes, the problem would be that you can get gas trapped between the reservoir and the thermometer might need servicing to get it registering temperature again.

Interestingly, standard procedure for fixing a broken column (gaps in it) in a mercury thermometer is to cool it in dry ice/acetone so that all the metal retreats into the bulb, then allow to warm.

[Edited on 1-23-13 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 11:49

Here, in Slovakia, standard procedure when you have gaps between the mercury is to shake the thermometer. :D It always works.

Rest In Pieces!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
Here, in Slovakia, standard procedure when you have gaps between the mercury is to shake the thermometer. :D It always works.

With a good chance of loosing your grip and throwing the thermometer into a hard surface and splattering mercury everywhere.

I just had a thermometer bulb shatter in my freezer a few days ago, while I was trying to re-unite the liquid column. It was a non-mercury (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan" target="_blank">Galinstan</a>;) oral fever thermometer.

For Hg, you'll have no problem with it freezing, but keep it above a collection container as it thaws.

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 23:01

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Quote: Originally posted by Adas  

With a good chance of loosing your grip and throwing the thermometer into a hard surface and splattering mercury everywhere.

I just had a thermometer bulb shatter in my freezer a few days ago, while I was trying to re-unite the liquid column. It was a non-mercury (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan" target="_blank">Galinstan</a>;) oral fever thermometer.

For Hg, you'll have no problem with it freezing, but keep it above a collection container as it thaws.

Actually, it's a standard procedure in every weather station for resetting mercury maximum thermometers. You grab it and give it a few firm shakes towards the ground. That's why kids aren't allowed to work at weather stations. :D
It is not possible to unite the column just by freezing, unless there's a complete vacuum in the capillary tube, which is never the case.

Go To Top