Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: red phosphorous
ktcd
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 03:39
red phosphorous

I don't understand... I read they don't want red P cause it reduces I2 to HI. But can't I2 just react with metal and that react with HCl? Below is iodine left on steel knife

DSC01589.JPG - 80kB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 04:30

It all depends on the amount of water allowed in the process in which the HI is used. A mix of red phosphorus and iodine can produce very concentrated HI by adding just some drops of water. Iodine mixed with a metal powder and then acidified with hydrochloric acid gives a dilute solution of HI at best, which also is mixed with chloride and metal ions.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 08:03

Actually, the addition of HCl(aq) would not change much the state of the iodide anions. The difference in acidity of HCl and HI is of 4 magnitudes and the pKa of HI is about -11 anyway, which means it is completely dissociated already (except maybe at very high concentrations where there is not enough water for proper solvation of ions). Acidification by HCl of an aqueous iodide solution would therefore not change anything, except for the pH of the solution and its chloride content. But if one needs an acidic solution of a iodide, then mixing NaI and HCl would give a "cleaner" result (application-wise), when compared to transition metal iodides. Needless to say, that would not resemble conc. aqueous HI (application-wise), but might resemble a diluted aqueous HI for some applications.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 12:01

Mixing a concentrated solution of NaI and conc. HCl has the added advantage of precipitating NaCl from the solution. NaCl only is sparingly soluble in solutions of HCl, especially if the concentration of the HCl goes well above 20% by weight.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top