Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Did anyone already bought from this ebay seller
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 04:43
Did anyone already bought from this ebay seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Distillation-Apparatus-Joints-...
Did anyone already bought this set or from this ebay seller? I can't buy it at the moment, but in a few month I may be able to put about 90$ on a all glass distillation set up. I would probably change the 1000ml flask for a 250 and a 100ml tough. If one already bought from him, what is the shipping service?

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 24-1-2013 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 05:23

The glassware is coming from China. It has a very good price and the shipping costs are really low, but what quality do you get? There have been quite some doubts about the quality of cheap chinese glassware.

You must be very careful with distilling equipment. It would be a real disaster if the boiling flask breaks while it is full with some corrosive or flammable liquid. Things can get really nasty in such situations! If flammable liquid comes in direct contact with your heating mantle, then there is a good chance of immediate fire. Corrosive liquid might immediately lead to destruction of your heating mantle and lead to possible fire/explosion due to electrical short circuit in the mantle.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 05:23

Never bought from them, might be worth a try... For just a little more (or maybe not, I haven't looked around on their eBay store all that much) you can get a nice organic set for only 165 from Laboy ( http://stores.ebay.ca/Laboy-glass )if you save a bit more, or just build your own kit. I have bought from them several times and the glass quality is excellent. It was shipped by EMS from china and arrived in about a week and a half.

The only thing I would be careful with on this kit is the thermometer adapter... I have bought two previously and the plastic screw and gasket didnt screw on straight, as if the threads were badly made and didn't accommodate the plastic piece, leading to a poor seal. Additionally with those thermometer adapters you can't distill nitric acid or bromine because they will chew up the rubber and plastic like crazy. Best would be to find a distillation adapter which can accommodate a glass thermometer adapter and/or a ground glass stopper for particularly aggressive chemicals. Ill dig out the piece I'm talking about and take a picture later to show you what I mean.

Expediglass is also good if you are looking to build a kit on the cheap.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 05:31

I have had experience with http://alchemylabsupply.com/Burettes_c_11.html and it has been very positive. I would definitely recommend them. Their customer service is also quite good.
kingkey24
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 08:01

Quote: Originally posted by Fossil  
I have had experience with http://alchemylabsupply.com/Burettes_c_11.html and it has been very positive. I would definitely recommend them. Their customer service is also quite good.

how is the glass? the prices they have there have gotten me very interested in buying from there
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 11:54

The Alchemy Labware glass is pretty good. I have a good amount of glassware from them, and the thermometer adapter is great.

[Edited on 24-1-2013 by Vargouille]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 17:30

Another reason that you want to be confident of the quality of your distillation glassware is that you will likely want to do vacuum distillations.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 18:05

i think its a good deal because my boiling flasks(500) average about 25 to 30 bucks with shipping and here you have two boiling flasks. the average condenser after bidding on ebay costs me about 35 to 40 with shipping and all. then you have the connecting adaptor arms and those are expensive for just being channels to direct distillates and they run from 25 to 30 bucks without shipping and then you have the klecks.layboy has the best deals i think but it doesnt matter what you buy from them you will always pay 15 dollars for shipping but they are great if you buy the whole shabang. dude i told you i would love to contribute 25 dollars to watch you make a distilling video but i dont want to ship you anything with my address or city of postage.pay pal to pay pal sounds good. i even have a 500 ml glass retort but i'd have to go all the way to (alldas axtes) to ship it. that reporter is lurking around still probably and might want to do a story on pandering to a minor.

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by cyanureeves]
kadriver
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 24-1-2013 at 21:28

I bought four, 4 liter beakers for $103 from a Chinese Ebay seller.

I was warned to use them for silver only (no gold or platinum), because they would probably break.

A new set of four from a USA vendor cost $263

These beakers have been in service for over a year now and they have held up to extreme heat gradient differentials with no problems.

Todays China is the Japan of the 60s (remember when Japanese goods were considered cheaply made and inferior?)

I recently bought this set, rather than going with China glassware;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270962763485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

This is all new to me, so I hope I have not made an error here.

This set had more useful items for the price than anything else I could find, on EBay or anywhere else.

Kadriver
Xenon1898
Harmless

Mood: Researching

[*] posted on 30-1-2013 at 20:34

I have also purchased from Labboy on Ebay several times:

http://stores.ebay.ca/Laboy-glass

Three or four times I had glassware arrive that was broken during shipping. I have to say that the customer service is outstanding - they immediately replaced each piece without hesitation or problems. I guess that's why they have a 100% rating. The only issue with this is probably the same with any glassware, the first time you use it you should assume there are hairline cracks or defects you can't see, so boiling and cooling first a couple times with a non explosive, non-lethal substance is probably not the worst idea in the world.

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?”

-Albert Einstein

Go To Top