Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any problems with my steam distillation glassware?
Alovira
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2013 at 10:42
Any problems with my steam distillation glassware?

Hi reader,

I'm having trouble getting the illustration scaled to within the image upload limit of 800x3000 so I've linked it off site - I just about managed to put this together with Photoshop

I'm trying to build a 24/40 jointed steam distillation setup.

Can you see any potential problems with building it this way (see illustration)?

I've left some detail off the illustration which I'll try and make clear here if it isn't clear.

(from left to right)

Left round bottom flask will be sited in heating mantle filled with H2O. Likewise, pressure equalising funnel will be able to add further H2O if needed. Vacuum adaptor has glass stopcock so it can be closed when finishing experiment to prevent drawback from round bottom flask in the middle.

Blue markers indicate rubber/PVC tubing.

Red marker is vacuum recovery adaptor left open.

I'm awaiting on the glassware supplier (laboyglass) to confirm what the clearance will be from the end of the 12mm glass rod extending into the centre of the middle round bottom flask and the bottom of the round bottom flask.

The illustration appears to have quite a large clearance so I would need to ensure that I have enough organic compounds to level higher than the 12mm tube to ensure steam will distribute evenly through the compound.

I've tried to mirror this from the Wikipedia image

[Edited on 27-1-2013 by Alovira]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 27-1-2013 at 15:35

1. Be careful to use a large bore stopcock or you risk overpressures and possibly a small explosion of steam and boiling water if you use Keck clips. Otherwise, something in the first part of the system will jump up. It usually lands on the floor, crashing into pieces. In either way, you risk property damage and burns.

2. Never ever use rubber tubing to conduct steam. Rubber tubing, when used as a part of a primary conduit for steam and reactive gases, is used to connect stuff, not conduct anything.
Use glass tubing for conducting steam, and use rubber tubing in the form of 2 cm long pieces to join the ends of glass tubes so that they almost touch - the amount of rubber exposed to the steam should be minimal.

If you don't have to, don't use glassware to make steam. It's an overkill. Apparatus should always be simple. It's like you're asking for trouble. Pressuse equalizing funnels are very expensive. If you can use a simple kettle, why exposing precious, expensive glassware to peril? :)

Go To Top