Author: Subject: Simple question on stability of ions
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 13:41
Simple question on stability of ions

A question I have asks:

"Which ion is the most stable - HS- or Cl- - and why?"

This is probably a very simple question, but the answer is beyond me :P An initial thought I had was to do with the size of the ion, but I can't be certain. I also thought that it could be influenced by the charge distribution across the ion...this would make chloride the more stable as the charge is equal across it, and hydrogensulfide the lesser stable ion due to the presence of the more electronegative sulfur atom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 21:21

I think you're right

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 00:12

That is the right reasoning. The ion which can accommodate the negative charge better is the more stable one. So basically the weaker lewis base is the more stabile ion. This is affected by delocalization, size, electronegativity and polarization. So a big, delocation stabilized and rather electronegative species would be the most stabile ion. One way of looking at this would be through acid-base theory. Given that both ions are conjugate bases to known acids we can determine their relative stability based on the pKa. Low pKa would indicate the favourability of high dissociation and thus stability of the conjugate base. This is not always applicable as pKa values are usually measured in aqueous sollutions and solvation of the ions takes place.

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by kavu]

Go To Top