Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [(HN (CH2CH2NH2) 2) 2Ni] (ClO4) 2
Dr. Watson
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:13
[(HN (CH2CH2NH2) 2) 2Ni] (ClO4) 2

Bis-diethylene triamine nickel perchlorate - [(HN (CH2CH2NH2) 2) 2Ni] (ClO4) 2 .
Synthesis:
25 grams. Sodium perchlorate (obtained with a soluble perchlorate)
29 grams. Nickel nitrate hexahydrate
21-22 g diethylenetriamine (DETA)
100 to 200 ml. 95% ethyl alcohol
At the minimum amount of distilled water dissolve nickel nitrate. At the minimum amount of distilled water dissolve perchlorate. Add solution of nickel nitrate slowly – by drops to DETA
Nickel nitrate solution changed color from green to intense blue in the formation of the complex. The reaction is slightly exothermic. Wait to cool to room temperature and add solution of perchlorate. Once formed purple - pink colloidal precipitate of [(HN (CH2CH2NH2) 2) 2Ni] (ClO4) 2.
Filtered, washed - once with 2% aqueous solution of DETA, then with ethanol and dry to 40-50*C.
Initiation - Do not succumb to initiate with fire - burns clean hard with compostable. Mixed with 30% sodium perchlorate burns vigorously with intense flames and popping sound. Heated under confinement detonate.
First test 1 g in a cocktail tube + 0.35 g lead azide - incomplete detonation, some substance was dispersed.
Second test of 22 g approx. density 1.1, may initiate a 1 g pyroxylin + 0.25 g lead azide. Very strong blast with a sharp sound, unpleasant smelling and white smoke. In strength is similar to CTMTNA or pyroxylin. This energetic substance is less vulnerable, more permanent storage and similar by power than its analogs [(HN3)6 Ni] (ClO4) 2.

Excuse my bad English!

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by Dr. Watson]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 15:43

The semicarbazide complex of nickel should also form a perchlorate, perhaps more stable than the hydrazine complex analogue, but sensitivity is unknown. The hydrazine complex of nickel perchlorate is reportedly dangerously sensitive.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1778&a...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1778&a...

Attachment: GB821586 Nickel Hydrazine Nitrate Complex Detonators.pdf (253kB)

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=56072&a...

[Edited on 5-2-2013 by Rosco Bodine]
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 16:34

@ Dr Watson,

Do you know that the compound is the bis-complex? Ni tends to prefer 4 four fold square planer co-ordination and such compounds are pink, red, lilac or orange when nitrogen is involved but two diethylene triamine ligands to one Ni suggests 6-fold coordination. Do you have a reference or did you just try this as an experiment "on speck".
Dr. Watson
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 23:12

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
@ Dr Watson,

Do you know that the compound is the bis-complex? Ni tends to prefer 4 four fold square planer co-ordination and such compounds are pink, red, lilac or orange when nitrogen is involved but two diethylene triamine ligands to one Ni suggests 6-fold coordination. Do you have a reference or did you just try this as an experiment "on speck".

Nickel complex compounds with NH3, ethylene diamine and others amines formed mainly coordination numbers 6. DETA has three coordinating nitrogen atoms in the molecule, so the substance should be bis - DETA - nickel perchlorate, but it can be confirmed 100% with crystallographic research fund. I just decided to share easy and interesting fusion energy substance.

Excuse my bad English!

Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 17:11

@Dr Watson

Yes you're right! I have found lots of information about polydentate amine ligands with nickel 2+. While I was looking at this field I came across fulminato and azido complex of Ni too!
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 17:47

Here is a relevant paper I posted today in the more general thread about energetic complex salts. The paper describes explosive power comparisons for ethylenediamine and hydrazine complex salts. The tris-hydrazine chromium perchlorate salt appears especially interesting.

Attachment: energetic_characteristics_of_transition_metal_complexes.pdf (305kB)
This file has been downloaded 667 times

Dr. Watson
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 07:13

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
Attachment: energetic_characteristics_of_transition_metal_complexes.pdf (305kB)

I known this study - replacing in that synthesis ethylene diamine with DETA

In a comparative test of [(DETA)2 Ni] (ClO4) 2 with [(EN) 3 Ni] (ClO4) 2 complex with DETA is much more difficult to initiate, but initiation by 1 g pyroxylin both complex salts are similar in power.

In first "test" of 25 g [(DETA) 2 Ni] (ClO4) 2 in a light plastic housing on wet clay soil is
formed an almost perfect hemispherical crater depth 18cm. and 35 cm. diameter.

In second "test" of 25 g [(EN) 3 Ni] (ClO4) 2 in a light plastic housing on wet clay soil is
forming an irregular oval crater 17 centimeters deep. and a diameter of between 32 and 40 cm.

This is probably due to differences in soil composition, rather than the power of the substances.

Excuse my bad English!

[Edited on 8-3-2013 by Dr. Watson]

Go To Top