Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iron as catalyst to amides
morganism
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:23
Iron as catalyst to amides

low tech route

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130203145436.ht...
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:57

We may have a new expression in the making, "morganism." Definition: A morganism is a post with reference(s) but little or no other content leaving one wondering, "was there a point?" I'm an advocate of Green Chemistry. The article seems to indicate some new ground breaking on the GC front. If that was the point.... You might have discussed a possible application related to your interests. Or you could have suggested the use of FeSO4 etc. in someone's recently reported experiment or posted question... I am in favor of a Green Chemistry sub-forum but there would have to be enough interest and activity to ask P to set it up.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
morganism
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 14:45

I thought the new thread just above discussing converting to amides shows there was some interest in a simple and easy to aquire materials catalyst.

You physics teachers are tough !

If i come across some interesting chem techniques, i post it up here.
One liners seem to be most helpful to skimmers, associations i leave to the experts here...
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 18:20

Is there a journal reference in there somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind I found it.

"Subhash Chandra Ghosh, Joyce S. Y. Ngiam, Christina L. L. Chai, Abdul M. Seayad, Tuan Thanh Dang and Anqi Chen. Iron-catalyzed efficient synthesis of amides from aldehydes and amine hydrochloride salts. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, Volume 354, Issue 8, May 21, 2012, Pages: 1407%u20131412 DOI: 10.1002/adsc.201200020"

I'd be wary though, I tried a similar method using copper sulfate to isomerize the oxime (formed in situ via one-pot reaction from the aldehyde) and it was absolute crap.

Can anyone get the full paper though?

[Edited on 5-2-2013 by Rich_Insane]

[Edited on 5-2-2013 by Rich_Insane]

Go To Top