Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: going semi-micro
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:45
going semi-micro

Is 14 mm ST semi-micro? Anyway I'm moving toward the 1 mmol from the 10 mmol experimentation level. I have a lot small flasks and a good partial takeoff vacuum still head. I don't have a column, condenser or simple still head. Another issue is workup. At the 1 mmol level I think chromatography is going to work a lot better than distillation and recrystallization. Maybe I need one of those "baggy pants" Hickman condensers for simple distillation. But a smaller flash chromatography setup would seem a must. This could become rather expensive in terms of stationary phase replacement. Or running lots of solvent through to clear out residual tars and the like. Comments? Advice?
Thanks!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
radagast
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 21:17
Chromatotron

How about using a Chromatotron or Cyclograph to purify ~100 mg. to 1 gram of product? I've played around with one and you rarely need more than a few hundred mls of solvent, and you can reuse (and easily make) silica or alumina plates.

Go To Top