Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baby Carrots Dangerous?
Traveller
Hazard to Self

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 18:33
Baby Carrots Dangerous?

I read the following on Facebook:

----------------------------------------------------------

DANGER TO YOUR FAMILY!!
From the Department of Life Education:

Baby Carrots:
The following is information from a farmer who grows and packages carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc.

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots - most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following:
Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool).

Since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables?

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer. I thought this was worth passing on. Pass it on to as many people as possible in hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed.

I used to buy those baby carrots for vegetable dips. I know that I will never buy them again!!!!

--------------------------------------------------

It seems like typical internet junk science. Anyone know what chlorine solution they are using?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 18:46

Quote: Originally posted by Traveller  
You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine which resurfaces

lolno, that is called carrots without skin drying out.

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer.

Chlorine is not categorized as a known human carcinogen. Nor is there any particular evidence that low levels of chlorine (such as in tap water) are carcinogenic.

The "solution of chlorine" is probably just dilute bleach. It may be another preservative as well such as a sulfite or ascorbic acid.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 18:59

I
What you may not know and should know is the following:
Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool).

Even more worryingly, some supermarkets are known to spray their veggies with undiluted hydroxilic acid, often while people are shopping a few feet away. The mist drifts around, and can be inhaled. Children are particularly sensitive; the CDC estimates that about 200 deaths annually among 1-14 year olds are directly attributable to hydroxilic acid overdose.
Traveller
Hazard to Self

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 19:26

That stuff sounds almost as scary as di-hydrogen monoxide!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 02:55

Hazardous compounds always have a multiplicity of names . . .

Nickbb
Harmless

Mood: something other than a chemistry pun

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 03:10

I don't ever believe this stuff. The white stuff is mold, and they say it is 'chlorine that is resurfacing', that is very vague and doesn't make any sense. But anyways it is not good to eat moldy carrots so I assume you should throw them out if they turn white.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 04:44

The only thing more infinite than human imagination is human stupidity...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:03

Last time I checked:
Carrots are orange
Chlorine is a very effective bleach.
I therefore conclude that if they treat carrots with chlorine, they don't use very much of it.

I also have some vague feeling that I might be exposed to chlorine via other routes.
Glucose Oxidase
Harmless

Mood: Researching Alchemy

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 12:40

I don't want to sound like and expert (cause i am not ) but bleach (or more generally chlorine+water) is NOT poisonous and that is proven correct because around here they use chlorine to sanitize water (yes , third world country no costly ozone) and i drink from the water tap yet never died or had any cancer hope that answers your question
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 13:06

The first post is obviously a Facebook scam. Chlorine is not a carcinogen, vegetables are not treated with chlorine and even if they did, they'd turn white immediately. No "chlorine resurfacing", LOL. Chlorine is way too reactive to just wait in the carrot tissue. It immediately reacts with the water to form hypochlorite anions which then rip the shit out of conjugated double bonds which give plants their colour.

God I hate assholes who make up scare spam.

Go To Top