Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is an safer alternative to AP
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 13-10-2013 at 10:34

Quote: Originally posted by Xfactor  
I made a video on the synthesis and some sensitivity tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl43G1tW0lE

The interesting thing is that it can be detonated with a laser which I find fairly cool (it is shown in the video)

Wow ! 5 gram of silver just to make an explosive !!! You're a rich man :D

Amazing video also.

I have little knowledge how a laser would initiate it ? Can you explain a bit ?

[Edited on 13-10-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Xfactor
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2013 at 10:42

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
Quote: Originally posted by Xfactor  
I made a video on the synthesis and some sensitivity tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl43G1tW0lE

The interesting thing is that it can be detonated with a laser which I find fairly cool (it is shown in the video)

Wow ! 5 gram of silver just to make an explosive !!! You're a rich man :D

It's not as bad as you think, I didn't use all of the silver nitrate, I just made a bigger batch because it is annoying having to make silver nitrate every time I want to make silver acetylide.

I only used 1 g of the silver nitrate, and I got about 5, I didn't list the yield because it wasn't accurate because some silver nitrate was lost when the cleaning lady spilled it (yes really -.-)

Also silver is not all that expensive, and you don't need a lot of primary when used correctly.
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2013 at 11:05

Quote:

2 gr of pressed picric acid plus 0.5 gr of lead picrate

I find this a crazy size for a cap. Very difficult to protect yourself from that blast while filling and handling it. 0.5g or maybe 0.8g of a good secondary are enough, if not rather use an intermediate booster on your main charge.

Quote:

I only used 1 g of the silver nitrate, and I got about 5, I didn't list the yield because it wasn't accurate because some silver nitrate was lost when the cleaning lady spilled it (yes really -.-)

If I was you I would clean your working area/lab yourself and make sure there's no dangerous stuff around than can be spilled so easily ;)
I'd have no quit minute if I new of some person not used to it pokes his nose through my stuff;)

Xfactor
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-10-2013 at 11:24

Quote: Originally posted by Gargamel  
Quote:

2 gr of pressed picric acid plus 0.5 gr of lead picrate

I find this a crazy size for a cap. Very difficult to protect yourself from that blast while filling and handling it. 0.5g or maybe 0.8g of a good secondary are enough, if not rather use an intermediate booster on your main charge.

Quote:

If I was you I would clean your working area/lab yourself and make sure there's no dangerous stuff around than can be spilled so easily ;)
I'd have no quit minute if I new of some person not used to it pokes his nose through my stuff;)

It was drying on the radiator, the cleaning lady took it (ever after specifically being told not to touch glassware) and spilled over an wooden cupboard-like thing and my metal lighter. She then proceeded to go away, and come back in about an hour when she wiped off the silver nitrate spill. Now there is a big purple-black stain and a green stain where the lighter was.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top