Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fischer scientific isotemp oven 615g
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 09:41
Fischer scientific isotemp oven 615g

Someone on Craigslist has offered me a Fischer scientific isotemp oven model 615g for 100.00. :D I check the web and I'm not completely sure on what this oven does. Is it to dry compounds or to dry glassware? Do you think it has a useful use in a home lab? Does anyone have or use one of the isotemp ovens? Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a picture of the unit. Thanks.;)

image.jpg - 20kB
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 13:56

Looks like an ordinary lab drying oven. I have a similar one from VWR and use it all the time. I got it used from eBay but it was in brand new condition.

What are the specifications for that model? Does the Fisher Scientific website give any information?

On second look I see that the door is off-kilter. That might be a concern, or might be easily repairable.

[Edited on 20-2-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 14:54

Thanks Magpie.

I wasn't able to find any info at Fischer scientific website. I might have to call them.
MikeSomething
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 13:47

PASS ON THIS OVEN!!!

This is the exact same picture used in an auction on eBay that ended a week ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHER-SCIENTIFIC-MODEL-615G-ISOTEMP...

Sounds like a scam. Unless the seller can post a new picture of the oven, say, with today's newspaper in the picture...it's a scam.

* I'm going to U2U this you (OP) just to make sure you get the info. If it is indeed a scam, please report it to craigslist and your local police dept. They may want to go through with the sale to bust the scammer, if he's local. If not, I'd be happy to assist you in busting him if he's in northern CA.

***Edit: OP responded to my U2U:

Quote:
thanks for the info. The seller says, he used the ebay picture but i have the option to take a look at his oven before I buy it. So I don't think its a scam.

Glad to hear it. I just see red flags whenever I hear someone trying to sell something on Craigslist. Granted, I look through there all the time, but mostly for free stuff. I assumed the seller wanted to send it to you. Meeting in person changes everything (unless they want to meet in a seriously shady neighborhood at 3am....lol).

This oven should be good for 50° to 275°C in 1° increments. It's smaller than their current ovens at 1.5 cubic feet interior space. It's a forced air convection oven that partially recirculates. Air intake is at the bottom; exhaust at the top. It's most likely a 120vac model, with an 1300 watt heater. New shelves are still available from Fisher, as well as a few temp controllers, but not much else. As long as it works, it sounds like a good price if you dry a lot of wet chemicals.

Good luck!

[Edited on 2-22-2013 by MikeSomething]

Go To Top