Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware - whats this again?
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 02:10
Glassware - whats this again?

What is it good for? I have seen this already and I think I also already knew already its purpose but I cannot remember.

I first thought splashguard, but thats wrong, for there is no way stuff could run back...

thx
/ORG

P3040328.geaendert.JPG - 160kBP3040332.geaendert.JPG - 137kB
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:56

Does anyone know what these adapters are called or what it's used for?

IMG_2397.JPG - 133kB IMG_2398.JPG - 147kB
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:57

It would appear to be some type of 'cold finger' condenser...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 12:56

jamit, the second image appears to be a three-way stopcock for manipulating gases and vacuum.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 14:52

Hold on here.. Organikum's glass.. the center of that glass looks an awful lot like the siphon drain of a soxhlet extractor. part of some custom extraction assembly maybe?

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 17:21

Naa, dont think this works this way. It is a tube protruding up and over this a second inverted tube down with holes at the bottom. Makes a rather narrow passage, I guess it is something to slow flow down, not a splash gueard but a demister in Steamdistillations and such?

I would really love to know as it was in the package by accident and I have to decide if I send it back or not and this is connected to other items (those missing).....

I think it goes retour
What says that in less then a day after somebody will tell what great and rare almost priceless piece of glass I have got and.....

/ORG
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 15-3-2013 at 10:57
another

Hey! Really nobody knows what the first piece of glassware is good for? I cannot believe it!

But I got anotherone actually I got 5 of them, what happens when buying without having read the description properly :o
Was very cheap and it may come handy when a piece of G20 glassware fails for grounded joints for this kind of glass are not produced anymore.

WHAT IS IT?

I thought maybe some combined splash-anti-bump but this would only work for 250ml flasks? Joints are NS29/32 and yes, it is upside down on the pictures.

unknown1.jpeg - 109kB unknown2.jpeg - 107kB

[Edited on 15-3-2013 by Organikum]
Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 11:49

organikum - first one appears to be a percolator. one thing I haven't used in a lab to know its purpose for legit use. but in bongs it acts to cool smoke before inhaling. I have used a form of one, a one way valve, basically identical function, to make alcohol. seal your mash and yeast in a bucket or something, attach one of these to the top to let CO2 out but keeping outside air out to prevent the yeast from forming acetic acid rather than ethanol.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 05:57

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
jamit, the second image appears to be a three-way stopcock for manipulating gases and vacuum.

Yes, that is a 3 way valve for doing vacuum and gas cycles, such as for degassing a reaction (switch from vacuum to nitrogen each for a few seconds to completely remove traces of air from a reaction, even with a low vacuum, does not waste as much nitrogen as using a large amount of N2 to sweep the air out. Also great for hydrogenations and other gas reactions, where you want to remove the air, then replace it with another gas.

The first thing, I don't know what it is, but maybe you can post more photos-maybe someone can figure out what it is good for, as I also have one that I don't know what it is good for. I don't think it is any sort of condenser or cold finger, but some sort of valve, maybe for air free work, not sure.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 14:46

Furboffle is right, after taking another look and conducting a quick experiment I agree that it is a valve to keep air out, similar to those used in brewing just looking different.

Well there is still the second item, items actually, to be uncloaked....

regards
/ORG
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 15:11

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  

Yes, that is a 3 way valve for doing vacuum and gas cycles, such as for degassing a reaction (switch from vacuum to nitrogen each for a few seconds to completely remove traces of air from a reaction, even with a low vacuum, does not waste as much nitrogen as using a large amount of N2 to sweep the air out. Also great for hydrogenations and other gas reactions, where you want to remove the air, then replace it with another gas.

The first thing, I don't know what it is, but maybe you can post more photos-maybe someone can figure out what it is good for, as I also have one that I don't know what it is good for. I don't think it is any sort of condenser or cold finger, but some sort of valve, maybe for air free work, not sure.

Thanks Dr bob for the info.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 13:00
But now for real

The first item in this thread is not what we thought it might be but its a drying tube for drying gases by a solid drying agent.

And variations of it are to be found and sold here.

The other item I asked for is probably a way to add quick and easy two to three more stages to an distillation. Vapors going through liquid collecting in it, condensing and reboiling the lower boiling fractions preferably.
I discovered something pretty similar in:

Handbook of Laboratory Distillation With an Introduction to Pilot Plant Distillation
by Erich Krell 1982, Elsevier.

A pretty good book on the topic btw. recommended for being understandable and inspirational. Found it on Scribd.com.

/ORG

[Edited on 24-5-2013 by Organikum]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 15:28

is there anybody that knows how to find out without breaking say.. a little tube if the tube is or is not meta borosilicate glass?
i have 2 tho.. but glass that implodes is messy af :s

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 30-5-2013 at 14:53

Not trying to hijack your thread Organikum I just did not want to start a new one and guessing odd glassware seemed to fit in here. Long ago a member posted a link and pic to this item on ebay. The hardware hacker in me just had to know what odd project I could use it in, so I bid the starting $9 and won it. Since I cannot find that old thread I'll ask here if you do not mind. Does anyone know what this thing is or what function it provides? It comes apart easily, appears it was meant to have some kind of silicone rubber gasket and clamp to hold it together (both missing but traces on the base suggest a red silicone rubber gasket once existed). Three ports for either a gas or liquid. One end port is flush with the base I assume meant to either fill or evacuate the inner glass portion. The center inlet goes inside the center of the shiny metal portion, other side port clearly was the other end of this path as if the metal portion does some sort of cooling function.

1.JPG - 107kB 2.JPG - 86kB 3.JPG - 97kB

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 14:18

No problem.

And damn it, I have seen this kind of thig you show already, I remember the wire thing, but canot remember anything else...

What metal is the silvery and more interesting actually whats the wire from?

/ORG
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 16:12

I've seen that thing few years ago. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WvLB8P-DM

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 22:06

Studied it for a while and cannot tell what metal or alloy it is but it clearly is some kind of condenser from the inlet/outlet. Yet the glass portion only has one port so no flow through it is possible. Looks like all you can do is pull a vacuum assuming the missing gasket would hold one. It is machined from a single piece with no seams except at the base and no welding except at the point the ports meet the base. The eyelets the wire hooks to are machined out of the single piece, they are not attached they are part of the single solid oddly shaped structure. It almost appears the entire thing was created by explosive forming but the surface is absolutely smooth everywhere except where it bonds to the base. The wire appears to be soldered together, the only cheap looking construction. Some kind of odd cryo related item? Or some kind of trap? What the hell is the reason for the wire structure? Why the hell did I buy it? I still have not figured out a way to use it in any kind of weird science but the glass part is solid quartz with a nicely shaped flange so I guess if nothing else it would make a skinny bell jar? I can surmise it was made to take either a fairly hot or possibly cryo cold operating temperature, whatever it was supposed to do.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 22:58

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
I've seen that thing few years ago. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WvLB8P-DM

That is nightmare fuel.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 11:54

I thought it would be a little useless to make a new topic about my glassware, so I'll ask it here.

I've just got some glassware and I don't know what to do with it.

I suppose that the big tube is used for catching gasses. But is that interesting for a home lab? Or is it smarter to sell it and buy new (more usefull) glassware from it? Maybe there are some interesting experiments where such glassware would be nice.

I have no idea what the little tube is, is it a sort of vacuum bell jar or something?

DSC02323.JPG - 191kB DSC02324.JPG - 190kB

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by DutchChemistryBox]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 12:06

I would keep it - use it as a test to determine if you've produced gases by color change, use it to dispense gases, etc...

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 15:34

Endimion, what the actual fuck man. That's a part of youtube I'd rather avoid.

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 15:35

More like "Endi, what the actual fuck". Maybe if it were used as the prop in the movie in question, but...

Go To Top