sami
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 08:20
hexamine : question

hi everyone

does hexamine dissolve in water ?
okay
when it dissolved in water ; how can i get it again ?

thanks

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 08:32

solubility in water from wikipedia 85.3g/100ml but why do you care to disolve it for? sounds like k3wl shit !

Simbani
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 08:40

Quote: Originally posted by sami  
hi everyone

Just pour all the water off.. :D
No, seriously this isn´t a serious question I hope?! I smell K3wl!

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by sami  
hi everyone

does hexamine dissolve in water ?
okay

thanks

You probably noticed that the answers to your question are quite sarcastic. Such simple questions can easily be answered by yourself. Wikipedia and Google are your friends.

If you ask questions, then show that you yourself have put some effort in finding an answer and if you get stuck with a partial answer, then other people definitely are willing to help you further.

What do you think will happen when you let the water evaporate (e.g. by heating the liquid somewhat) from a solution of hexamine?

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 12:05

And why don't you simply answer the question to this probably very young poster who like to be a part of community. There was nothing bad in post, and sarcasm or ignorance leads nowhere.

I must say, I noticed, that SM became very spooky place to ask questions about chemistry, and many users will agree with me. It seems that you are welcome here only if you know chemistry very well, have access to patents, or if you are a member of older hive/rhodimu/synthetikal group.

Yes I know, I can go elsewhere if I don't like being here.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 12:28

Yes, hexamine dissolves in water, and the water can also be evaporated out.

What many may not know is that hexamine partially dissociates in water, particularly under acidic conditions.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 12:36

To be fair, the question was answered... Neptunium gave the solubility, Woelen hinted at what would happen if an aqueous solution was evaporated. The sarcasm most likely is due to the fact that we all know pyro is a place where many people experiment in when starting amateur chemistry- I can't blame them either!

I think that the mention of "kewl" arises from the fact that hexamine is used to make HMTD, a very dangerous but easy to synthesize organic peroxide. Unless the original poster is interested in purifying it via recrystallization for doing some other organic experiments with it, in which case perhaps sarcasm is not warranted.

Then again, as Woelen mentioned, Google is a friend we have now that we didnt have in days not too long ago. A large part of chemistry is research, and googling "solubility of hexamine in water" is insanely easy. In fact, without the Internet this person back in the day would have had to pull out a textbook, or encyclopedia or some other reference manual to find out this information- all on their own.

I don't think there is much of an attitude problem here, I'm certainly not a chemistry expert but have never been shot down for asking questions (which probably seemed basic to many) after doing a bit of work on my end. Compare SciMad with lots of other science forums online and you will see the difference, rumors and facts given without references or research are often taken as gospel, kewls are rampant and the difference is obvious. The crowd here just wants to help by showing how to research and self teach a bit, demonstrate that ability and many members will give you all the help you could ever want, and then some, free of charge :P
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 18:57

I used to be concerned about divulging too much information to neophyte meth cooks. I'm reluctant to encourage folks onto a path that can only end badly. Besides, isn't there enough speed out there already?

More recently, I have been concerned about divulging too much information to potential terrorists.

There was an avalanche of uneducated queries about Phenol. Later, a terrorist type was arrested for acquiring Phenol. Apparently, it is very easy to Nitrate. thereby producing a dangerous explosive.

Likewise, there was a barrage of unskilled inquiries about Di-isopropylether. Leave it uncapped, and it produces its own highly explosive peroxides.

A total stranger, inquiring on a delicate topic, is worthy of scrutiny.

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 21:58

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
hexamine is used to make...

I experimented with it several times in the form of pyrotechnic compositions. It is somewhat unique in that the solid fuel can easily vaporize before being oxidized, which can accelerate combustion under certain conditions.

there is also hexamine di-nitrate... it does not seem to burn as well, probably because it is an ionic compound, but it does contain more of its own oxygen.
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 03:01

To answer to Zed:

It is unfortunate that chemistry laws are arranged in such a way that they (explosives) are very easy to make, especially dangerous ones. But, having explosives is not the end of story, it is only the beginning. The ones who can bring this story to the end (not necessarily terrorists) need far more education than can be found here. Books are available all over net about that subject and there is nothing we can do to stop this. This knowledge is known for decades, and the danger it represents is on nano scale. It is political question, and always will be, there is no real reason for people to hate or hurt each other. Real danger is one hurting themselves.

And yes, there is enough speed out there, majority of people proved once again how they can be irresponsible to drugs, legal or illegal.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 06:07

this is a bit off topic but then again what was the topic? !

what about a young student who develope an interest in chemistry and science through energetics materials? we can all say that we've made some of these substances at one point in our hobby lets not fool each other..
the difference i think , its a very small and minor part of the interest in chemistry. but if a kid wants to learn how and why certain reaction occur then he/she should not be discouraged or ridiculed . god knows this country (US) badly needs scientific minds

how to identify the kid with an ongoing genuine interest who wants to pursue a legitimate scientific career vs the dumb ones with no other interest outside of blowing mailboxes? or other k3wl and cooks?
damn near impossible...

Simbani
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 07:23

BTW, mixing hexaminedinitrate with an oxidizer makes it very sensitive to flame. I tested it with KClO4 and on contact with
a glowing match it´s gone in a woosh. You don´t need to add much KClO4, about 80/20. Maybe it makes this stuff more sensitive to initiation
so that it could be used as a main-charge?

Go To Top