Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury + Iodine tincture = ???
Meakanesis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 10:32
Mercury + Iodine tincture = ???

Hey, my first thread opening.

I'm interested in the process of mercury amalgamation with aluminum.

I'm assuming we all know what it does and why, I'm assuming we all know a wide range of salts can be used.

For this thread however I want to concentrate on a specific method I have stumbled upon both on this forum a long time ago and i want to clear up my confusion.

I've seen it suggested that elemental mercury mixed with iodine tincture ( a mixture of KI/I2) would produce a solution capable of amalgamating aluminium. I'm personally unsure if this would produce nesslers reagent/ mercuric iodide in suspension or something completely different and i can't find the method as i recall it being mixed into a thread on i believe amphetamine synthesis (badly concealed of course) and the member of this site said not to make phenylacetone and start small by making this magic iodine/potassium mercury solution.

It was a very basic method that was nearly as simple as A) add mercury B) wait C) remove excess mercury. and i wish at the time i had any interest in understanding al/hg reductions.

If we could and i know palverone has some knowledge on this but is not answering a u2u, iron-dine out this method and make aluminium amalgam a straight forward procedure without producing vast pollutants and toxic fumes (hg(II)cl synth) I think that would be great.

On a side note: surely nesslers reagent would sufficiently amalgamate aluminium? or am i missing something there?

Also sorry if there's any nomenclature mistakes

Go To Top