Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what size glassware to get?
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:03
what size glassware to get?

Hi guys,
Recently I have been considering ordering a distillation setup to start off my glassware collection. I would like to know what size of round bottom flask would be most suited for someone starting out, I'll probably be using it to distill some common solvents and acids.

I was thinking something along the lines of a 24/40 250ml 2-necked round bottom flask, but, any suggestions?

Also, what is the most common size of reagent bottle?

[Edited on 4-4-2013 by confused]
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:36

depends on whether you do synthesis, or analysis. the former uses larger size equipment
confused
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:43

mostly synthesis, would 250ml be considered ok for that?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:46

I for one find that the 19/22 size best suits my needs. 14/ is nice for small scale stuff but I find personally that the flask and equipment sizes available in the 19/22 taper sizes are nice. You can get small enough stuff for small scale reactions and syntheses and large enough stuff for preparing useable amounts of reagents. It all depends on what scale you are looking to work on too.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:47

"I have been considering ordering a distillation setup to start off my glassware collection."

For 5-250 ml, I would pick 14/20, for 25 - 500 ml, you could use 19/22 but that size is harder to find pieces of in the US. And for 100 ml and up to 1-5L, 24/40 is the most useful joint size.

Also, what is the most common size of reagent bottle? That depends a lot on what you are doing. I find that I use 100ml to 1L most often for storage of common chemicals.
confused
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:48

How does one do analysis with the equipment?
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 16:20

Quote: Originally posted by confused  
How does one do analysis with the equipment?

Well, with a very small standard distillation kit you could check for methanol in ethanol beverages by distilling HI together with your sample into trimethylamine in absolute ethanol, producing the ethanol/trimethylamine insoluble tetramethylamine iodide. Apparently one can get good results down to 0.1% methanol/ethanol.

The paper is floating around the forum (i think), named: "The detection of methanol in the precence of ethyl alcohol".

What astounds me is that they used the old archaic (not by me, I love the old names for stuff) name on methanol, and the new IUPAC name for ethanol (ethyl alcohol) in the article title.

Also, as per answering the first post, 24/40 is the most common, together with 14/20 since the Americans seem to think they are good sizes and the availability on Ebay etc. is usually good. I've been looking for a Kontes 19/22 set for years now, even tried to assemble one myself based on availability but this seems impossible as others love that size too...

Myself I have several Kontes micro sets (micro/nano mol), they are about 5 mm ID the glass and are assembled with butyl rubber connectors, a Quickfit 10/19 kit, and a huge variety of 14/20, most from Kontes and Chemglass, with some Ace pieces as these are the top manufacturers in my eyes. Also have a combined 19/26-24/29 Quickfit set which I used to use a lot more in the early years of my hobby (get one of those, they rule..) and a fairly large variety of 29/32-29/42 glassware, with the 29/32 size common in Europa, and a not-big-enough set of adapter between the different sizes..

Btw, there are other if not several threads on this very same subject covered in the forum.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 19:48

50 mL is analytical size

1 to 5 L is synthesis size

your 250 mL is smack in-between

Go To Top