Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cleaning galinstan
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 12:53
Cleaning galinstan

I mixed up a 10 gram sample of galinstan a couple weeks ago. Sadly, there is a lot of dross on it. I don't know how much of that is due to slag in the (recycled) indium.

I looked that electrode potential, and it seems that _all_ of the elements involved will reduce hydrogen from water. What sort of flux or reducing agent is recommended?

I've already tried ammonium chloride and detergent, but I don't think that had much impact. If possible, I'd like to keep this at fairly low (<100C) temperatures.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 21:17

Hmm. Molten halides are the way to go for most 'ordinary metals' (Al, Zn, Pb, Sn...). Hard pressed to find a (nonreactive) eutectic that low though.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
LiquidMetal
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2013 at 11:38

I typically rid the oxide that you are describing with a diluted (1Molar) HCL drop. Be warned that if you place this HCL in the main container that holds your Galinstan that after a couple of days it will react to make a hard Ga2Cl3 crystal like structure. Better to take a small bit of Galinstan out of the container.

Go To Top