Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Realistic Microwave Modifications
aliced25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 22-4-2013 at 00:17
Realistic Microwave Modifications

I've been looking around at the various microwave modifications that have been suggested, and to be frank, most of them look not only dangerous, but somewhat insane. There are a list of Microwave modifications attached. I like the continuous flow reactor by Bagley, et al (see both the article and the pictures in the supporting documentation). Now that is something that could be made by the average amateur an oversize test-tube passing through the top of the cavity with a flange/gasket/lid assembly with various inlets/outlets.

Attachment: Bagley.etal.A.Simple.Continuous.Flow.MW.Reactor.Note.pdf (152kB)
This file has been downloaded 890 times

Attachment: Bagley.etal.A.Simple.Continuous.Flow.MW.Reactor.Supporting.Information.pdf (1.9MB)
This file has been downloaded 697 times

Attachment: Brooks.Douthwaite.MW.Induced.Plasma.Reactor.Based.on.a.Domestic.MW.Oven.for.Bulk.Solid.State.Chemistry.pdf (316kB)
This file has been downloaded 804 times

Attachment: Cablewksi.Faux.Strauss.Development.of.a.Continuous.MW.Reactor.for.Organic.Synthesis.pdf (713kB)
This file has been downloaded 1229 times

Attachment: Pouget.Modification.of.a.Commercial.MW.Oven.for.Appications.in.the.Chemical.Laboratory.pdf (412kB)
This file has been downloaded 1504 times

Attachment: Raner.Strauss.Trainor.A.New.Microwave.Reactor.for.Batchwise.Organic.Synthesis.pdf (1.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 1615 times

Attachment: Strauss.Trainor.Invited.Review.Developments.in.MW.Assisted.Organic.Chemistry.pdf (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 1078 times

Attachment: Yuen.Hameed.Recent.Developments.in.the.Preparation.and.Regeneration.of.Activated.Carbons.by.MW.pdf (475kB)
This file has been downloaded 2768 times

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 00:26

Yes its possible.

Reactor1.geaendert.JPG - 191kB

P2230304.geaendert2.JPG - 237kB

[Edited on 22-4-2013 by Organikum]
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 02:32

I am actually looking for a quartz tube with a flange - to put through a hole in the top of the oven - then a lid with holes in it that can be used depending upon what is being made and a bolted SS connector to hold the lid to the flange to the MW. Quartz would be best, as then higher temperatures would be possible and I sincerely want to try the SiCl4/POCl3 reactions. Imagine, amateurs having those two on tap:cool:

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 04:58

Sure.
I would like to have wings so I can fly but alas.....

The difference is that this exists, is working and experience is gathered in the field of microwave chemistry but yours is just a kids wish for christmas which will go unfullfilled.
Better so, probably.

/ORG
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 15:49

The cooking microwave provides heating by another means. Polar molecules
are excited by the 2.45 Ghz radio frequency emitted which is resonant with
water. The only real advantage it provides is high temperature in the gas phase
for producing plasma. A different emission frequency requires a magnetron
specific for that or else fabricating your own.

Removing the power supply and magnetron from the cooking microwave
cabinet is better than trying to fit some retrofitted reactor vessel inside it.
You just need to be cognizant that the metal oven housing provides safety
by blocking the waves generated which are confined within it. Microwaves
pass through walls and fry electronics. Feeling heat prevents actual harm
to people or animals as you immediately recoil from exposure to the beam.
The possibility that proteins in the humor or cornea of your eyes can
coagulate from prolonged low power exposure requires proper shielding
when powered up , metal screen mesh.

How a microwave oven works ( basic parts & function )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgV5xDZBng

Newer microwave hi-voltage supply (inverter type)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vchhc7SLcaw

Fixing Panasonic inverter microwaves (replacing older transformer (MOT)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJJU4ZRh7U

Scavenging ovens thrown away
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkioe3PJz0

Magnetron teardown
(no reason to do this except to salvage the ceramic magnets)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3k6L8bLUqI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zev8Ws4P1Y

Magnetron construction and operation explained
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6EmMkKevY

Measuring the voltage and current of a microwave oven magnetron
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2k2g00onL0
Good description of the Half-Wave Voltage Doubler function
www.microtechfactoryservice.com/doubler.html

Mapping field intensity inside the oven (determing the cold spots)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIjcNIR_Yg8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxI1ZjLLdb8

Homemade magnetron
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_MZ22OVyg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJjBpqo3Kk

Magnetron's emitter waveguide directed at a wire
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DofLTIDszI

Magnetron used as a microwave gun
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoOT2_Z-GIE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMgaEvQsXrc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhnp2-l1cxY

The Poor Mans Ray Gun
72.52.208.92/~gbpprorg/mil/herf/The_Poor_Mans_Ray_Gun.pdf
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWu31eccY0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9sBkjcFYbc

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 16:08

Thank you franklyn! That was a hearty spoon. ;). I never had much intrest in microwaves or knew much about them. The link buffet made it impossible to ignore any longer.
assimilated...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2013 at 01:09

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
Sure.
I would like to have wings so I can fly but alas.....

The difference is that this exists, is working and experience is gathered in the field of microwave chemistry but yours is just a kids wish for christmas which will go unfullfilled.
Better so, probably.

/ORG

And the truth is that you've never had a truckload of glass confiscated on trumped up charges, never to be returned. You've never faced 40 years for logging into a website and owning "apparatus", so cut the shit. When your part of the world is as shitty as this part, I'll be surprised if you are willing to post pictures of glassware. Thanks to Assange, et al, it is going to get worse here not better and I am sick to death of being a test-case for the prosecution.:mad:

Enjoy your system, it looks good and I'm assuming the condenser is absorbing most of the MW radiation (presuming there is H2O running through it). I sincerely wish I could simply have my old glass back and I'd give you a run for your money;)

aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 02:10

Now one thing that has me a little bit interested is the microwave kiln's (http://www.microwavekiln.com/KILNINSTRUCTIONS.HTM), they are a simple section of alumina tube with two end caps, with a coating of a microwave susceptor painted onto it. Now, fine powdered silicon carbide is cheap and easily acquired, so are polysilicones which allow the preparation of ceramics (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cm00027a007) when the painted on mixture is fired (ie. microwaved). I'd imagine the fumes would be unpleasant, but there you go there's one microwave modification that allows for a high tempurature, plus a MW free working environment (the SiC absorbs basically ALL of the MW, the area in the middle is heated by the heat given off by the SiC, not the MW. Put a crucible in there, even a metal crucible and it will be rapidly heated (hllp://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADP007756), melting whatever is inside it, or causing it to react. That being so, if the system were taken beyond the top of the MW it could be used for vacuum distillation of whatever.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by aliced25]

Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 03:07

Quote: Originally posted by aliced25  
Now one thing that has me a little bit interested is the microwave kiln's (http://www.microwavekiln.com/KILNINSTRUCTIONS.HTM), they are a simple section of alumina tube with two end caps, with a coating of a microwave susceptor painted onto it. Now, fine powdered silicon carbide is cheap and easily acquired, so are polysilicones which allow the preparation of ceramics (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cm00027a007) when the painted on mixture is fired (ie. microwaved). I'd imagine the fumes would be unpleasant, but there you go there's one microwave modification that allows for a high tempurature, plus a MW free working environment (the SiC absorbs basically ALL of the MW, the area in the middle is heated by the heat given off by the SiC, not the MW. Put a crucible in there, even a metal crucible and it will be rapidly heated (hllp://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADP007756), melting whatever is inside it, or causing it to react. That being so, if the system were taken beyond the top of the MW it could be used for vacuum distillation of whatever.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by aliced25]

Graphite spray from the automotive shop sprayed on porcelan works fine to make crucibles or tubes heating up in microwaves as mad. Or you stick a ceramic tube in another and fill the void with activated charcoal. This gives even higher temperatures.

But of course thats just heating there is no microwave effect on the reaction whatsoever as the radiation doesnt reach the reagents anymore.
Thats not microwave chemistry IMHO.

/ORG
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 16:59

No, it is microwave metallurgy - silico- and aluminothermic reactions in which hard to get at metals can be got at without the need for a box furnace. Reduction of Phosphorus absorbed on carbon, or with silicon, etc. would be possible, maybe even lithium

http://www.programmaster.org/PM/PM.nsf/ApprovedAbstracts/C77...

http://www.onemine.org/search/summary.cfm/Laboratory-Prepara...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781118663448.ch2...

http://web.mit.edu/dsadoway/www/81.pdf

http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-METE200302010.htm

http://www.arcus.msisa.ru/users/files/file72723-1197279908.p...

http://tinyurl.com/cvg4kzq

It may not be MW chemistry, but it could provide something useful. Calcium can also be produced in a similar fashion. The vacuum under discussion is within the range of a sliding vane pump, so things might be achievable.

[Edited on 4-5-2013 by aliced25]

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:24

Go To Top