Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Please review my Laboy order
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Organic

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 20:13
Please review my Laboy order

Hello all. I'm pretty new to all this and having a great time. I want start building a distillation apparatus and I've heard great things about Laboy/synthware glass.

Please review my Laboy order here and recommend any changes or additions. I do not have any stands right now, but I plan to buy some steel rods in a hardware store and set them up securely to use the clamps with. My main goal is to distill nitric acid as it is impossible to find here in Ontario.

HERE is the link to the organic chemistry set: http://www.laboyglass.com/organic-chemistry-kit

Thanks alot!

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by binaryclock]

Current Project: Playing with my new Laboy advanced distillery kit!
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 20:21

Looks pretty sweet. If only my dad was as cool as you... Why do you need tubing? You can pick that up easy, no need for online shopping.

Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 20:31

Looks fine to me, I would suggest to get some joint clamps in there too.
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 20:43

keck clips?
hafnium
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 20:58

Not bad, looks like you've got the basics covered. If you don't want to deal with Laboy's long shipping times though (Laboy's based out of China, right?) there's an ebay seller from the states selling the exact same glassware for very similar prices (it's been established on this forum that synthware and laboy are one in the same, just rebranded). Here's his seller page: (http://myworld.ebay.com/cbb-syt?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)

I'm guessing you'll be wanting a heating apparatus of some sort and additional beakers/graduated cylinders, all of which can be bought very cheaply on ebay. With a little patience, independent stores of even Laboy's quality won't normally be able to beat out the deals you can find on auctioned ebay items. I do, however, understand why you're going through Laboy in this situation, as their deals on glassware are VERY hard to beat.

What's with that tubing listing? I can't find where it lists the length in meters/feet. (That type of tubing isn't ideal for vacuum setups either, so keep that in mind.) I'm also not a huge fan of cork stands (never had a real use for them), but those are very cheap, so I'm not going to bother arguing.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by hafnium]
hafnium
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 21:09

Quote: Originally posted by confused  
keck clips?

Yeah, I agree. Pick up a few of those; they're a nice supplement to your clamps and they're stupid cheap.

To be honest, he's likely missing a lot of things he'll want to acquire, but you really shouldn't be going to LabBoy expecting to buy non-glassware items anyway. Depending on the length of that tubing though, those are actually pretty reasonable prices.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by hafnium]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 00:01

OK word of advice: on your thermometer check to see if it is a jointed or plain stem one. for Nitric acid I'd recommend , and assuming you can bear the little extra cost, to look into a jointed thermometer and this part http://www.laboyglass.com/adapter/distillation-adapter/disti... you will need a 76mm immersion thermometer for it but here http://www.laboyglass.com/clamps-and-accessories/others/ther... this will allow you to both distill nitric acid and distill under a vacuum. You can try distilling under a vacuum with the organic kit's inlet.thermometer adapter but that adapter uses a screw top fitting and relies on a o ring to hold the thermometer. order spare o rings if you go that route and don't let the thermometer fall. If possible email Laboy and ask them what o ring size & serial number they use for their inlet/thermometer adapters. I'd ask them, assuming you choose to go with a jointed thermometer, about the top joint on the distillation adapter for ground jointed thermometers, the ideal thing would be for the adapter's top joint to have the same size as the jointed thermometer you'll use in it. Pardon the wall of text but this is merely my opinion. EDIT: you will need a boss head for the three pronged clamp. and bear in mind the tubing is sold by the meter.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by Funkerman23]

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 11:04

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to review the order with all your suggestions which were great! I do have a hotplate thanks to the generosity of one of the members here. I checked with the bay seller and since he's in the US and I'm in Canada, there is a $25 shipping cost. And anything that goes over the border takes along time because customs always holds it up so I'm not sure that will save time or money really.

Very interesting thoughts about the thermometer. See this is the stuff I would have no idea about until I got it all setup. Thanks!

zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 08:35

One Note I will make is that the tubing quantity usually is per foot so 1 qty is equal to 1 foot and you will certainly need more than that for your cooling apparatus. I'm not 100% on that but I would make sure. All of the other suggestions are spot on.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
paw_20
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 09:09

Definitely take into account funkerman's suggestion on the thermometer, eliminates worrying about nitric eating the o-ring/screw cap holding your thermometer in place. Laboy also sells ptfe o-rings on that accessory-others page, if you decide to forgo the jointed therm.
Also you need a bosshead clamp to go with those 3 finger clamps. I prefer the bosshead/3-finger for everything except sep funnels and burets.
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 19:33

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up getting the Advanced Chemistry 24/40 glassware kit: http://www.laboyglass.com/advanced-chemistry-lab-glassware-k...

That included the jointed thermometer joint, and I ended up getting the jointed thermometer.

My order is the follows:

x1 Advanced chemistry lab glassware kit 24/40 HMK02
x1 Thermometer with 10/18 joint 76mm immersion length temp range -20 to 250°C
x5 Plastic clip for 24/40 standard taper joint $1.22
x3 Open ring retort support with bosshead 60mm in diameter

x2 Open ring retort support with bosshead 100mm in diameter
x3 Three finger double adjust swivel clamp accept objects from 0-70mm
x2 Alloy two prong swivel clamp for items from 12 to 45 mm
x3 Spatulas 150mm in length

Total order was $438.15

I'll get the tubing locally, along with the pump.

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by binaryclock]

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 19:52

uhhh forgive my comment here but you may find that the advanced kit you mentioned does not supply the distillation adapter that uses the jointed thermometer. the one with the thermometer top in that kit uses a standard non jointed thermometer... Now plain thermometers are not hard to come by but if you order from Laboy again in the future you may want to note that only adapter HMA017101 can use the jointed thermometer directly. without that you'd have to use this reducing adapter HMA010103 to use the ground joint thermometer securely. Still, I wish you all the best with your new glass and may it give you many years of good service.

binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 20:34

Isn't the 2nd row, 2nd from the left the adapter to use the jointed thermometer?

If not, I'll jsut call them and have my order modified to include it.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 20:52

No that one is this adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermometer-adapter-three-way-24-40-... To use the 10/18 thermometer securely you will nead this adapter : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermometer-adapter-three-way-vigreu... . Or if you need the serial number for the distillation adapter that uses the ground jointed thermometer HMA017101 . But I am not trying to force your hand and I offer my apologies if that is what this appears to be. I merely wanted to make sure you didn't get your package only to find you can't use it or there are issues.
Quote: Originally posted by binaryclock  

Isn't the 2nd row, 2nd from the left the adapter to use the jointed thermometer?

If not, I'll jsut call them and have my order modified to include it.

binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 20:58

No force of hand at all :) Thank you so much. They need some more detail on their pages so it correctly identifies certain pieces of glass. I'll email them and make sure they add the adapter to my order as I want to make sure I get all the correct things in one shot.

Much appreciated!

BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 22:13

I really think you'll be pleased with the Laboy order. I emailed them just after placing my order a few months ago asking if I could add additional Keck clamps, and they could just paypal invoice me the additional cost. I never received a response and was a little displeased.... until I received my package, and they were in there free of charge! That's the kind of customer service we could all use more of!
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 05:16

I emailed them and they sent me the invoice for the additional $16 and I paid it. No hassles. Looks like everything is a go now :)

Thanks all. Can't wait until I get my glass now.

Go To Top