Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Foodsafe vacuum lube
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 13:43
Foodsafe vacuum lube

What is a good lubricant that can hold a vacuum but it wont make the product inside inedible. I have been looking into teflon sleeves but it can hold the vacuum ill be pulling (25 microns)
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 16:46

Vaseline? I wonder if you can get food-grade silicone oil. Are you subliming something?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 17:22

Cocoa Butter?
thewanderer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 08:25

Teflon sleeves are nice but are pricey. I'm surprised they wouldn't be able to hold a vacuum at that level. I've cut inexpensive teflon tape to fit joints, but it's a little tricky to get a nice flat coverage without any leaks. The first few times I tried, there were some small leaks (very small, my pump still had 27"+ of vacuum in the system)

I posted a question regarding use of an NSF/USDA approved grease for food use. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=23461#... has some other suggestions as well. I've used and really like the Super Lube I picked up locally. I found there are some food-safe lubes used for beer kegs as well, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/lubrifilm.html is an example. A local brewery supply or homebrew store may have this or similar, depending on your location.

[Edited on 5/11/2013 by thewanderer]

Go To Top