Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heating 12L boiling flask
SpeedGP
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 13:41
Heating 12L boiling flask

So I bought a 12L boiling flask on ebay to start distilling alcohol, I should have probably found a flat bottom, but it's a little late for that now... I've seen a couple DIY threads on this site for making your own mantle and some of them are pretty cool (using fireclay and nichrome wire from a toaster), my question is, with about 3 gallons of liquid (approx 24lbs) in an older pyrex boiling flask, what is the best way to heat this thing?! To me, it seems there would be pressure points from almost any setup and a chance for the flask to break.

I really like the sandbath idea. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep this on a budget, I dont really have $300+ to go buy a professional mantle.

Thanks!

-James
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 14:23

A professional mantle would be more than that! use copper shot if you can. Or wrap it in fiberglass and use a flame, or perhaps a giant oil bath?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
SpeedGP
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-5-2013 at 14:34

I thought copper shot would also create too much pressure , but I suppose with the size of the vessel and the size of the shot, should work ok.

Thanks! I'll give it a try soon!
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 01:41

distilling alchohol? They mostly have a BP<water, so an enormous saucepan of water and your good to go. And yeah, sandbath is a good idea. I use this one myself, although admittedly not on 12L flasks.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 05:13

i would say aluminium as it conducts heat pretty well..
silver would be preferred but of very very obvious reasons this might not be the best choice..
aluminium foil could be torn into shreds possibly forming a nest shaped as the flask to put on a stove? perhaps MOUNT the aluminium on the flask?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 10:13

You're biggest battle would probably be size. Rather then heat up sand really hot, why not do a hot water bath?

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 13:28

Why does everybody want to heat the flask? Heating the content direcly wouldbe more logical and much less stressy on the glassware.

Ceramic infrared heaters, Ceran cooking plates from scrap, halogen heating elements and last not least and with alcohol pure joy: Microwave heating. Two 1000W magnetrons firing interleaved will do this fast and clean. Only do this if you are in the know though.
Infrared works even without knowing shit.

/ORG
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 15:40

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
Rather then heat up sand really hot, why not do a hot water bath?

Why not combine the two: drip from an external heat source and drain?

Though I'm sure something could be fit for a big cork ring sort of support for a bath.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 26-5-2013 at 01:41

Quote: Originally posted by SpeedGP  
[...] my question is, with about 3 gallons of liquid (approx 24lbs) in an older pyrex boiling flask, what is the best way to heat this thing?!

Just because the flask is 12 L doesn't mean you can distill 12 L at a time.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:19

It depends on what the fermented wash that you are feeding into the flask comes from.
Washes from grain can contain a lot more protein than washes made from fermenting sugar or molasses.
The protein will cause foaming and it will blow in to your column.
When I am boiling the sweet liquor from the tun with the hops to make hopped wort to feed in to the fermenter I reckon on a two to three ratio.
Thus a 100 litre boiler can take 60 litres of liquor without excessive froth, use two 3kW immersion heaters to bring it to the boil and then one to hold it at a steady boil.
I reckon the max charge for your flask is between 6 and 10 litres.
Your best charge could be a sugar wash fermented out with a Turbo yeast, that would give you ca 20% ABV to start with so an 8 litre load would give you 4 litres of 40% ABV vodka and not a lot of foaming to deal with.
You do need a good column; reject the fore run and
the tailings.
Take the middle fraction, determine the specific gravity and then dilute to a reasonable drinkable concentration.
You do have to consider the legal side of things.
Where I live running a still is legal if you are registered and run it in appropriate premises, make returns to Customs and Excise, allow them to inspect the premises and your records at a mutually agreed time, pay duty on the liquor, etc.

Go To Top