Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Esterification
GIUMBY84
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 03:16
Esterification

Hello all,
thanks in advance for helping me. I'm trying to have an ester from IMAZETHAPYR. The reaction is as you can see in the attached file.
I'm new with this kind of reactions.
Have you any idea to suggest me?
thanks

Attachment: doc4.doc (62kB)
This file has been downloaded 416 times

Spelling

[Edited on 28-5-2013 by ScienceSquirrel]
AlchemicalDane
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 10:32

Hi there,

I have never heard of this molecule before, so I am basing my ideas posted below on the fact that we are speaking of a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. I am assuming that the carboxylic acid will not further react with the alcohol and sulphuric acid. Please seek further advise before trying this.

If you are new to organics (of which esterification is a part), please allow me to link you to the following page: ChemGuide.
As you can see on the page, carboxylic acids react with alcohols, in the presence of sulphuric acid as a catalyst, forming an ester. The compound mentioned firstly in the document you have attached is a carboxylic acid and the second compound is methanol - exactly what is needed for creating an ester (if you add some conc. sulphuric acid, however).

The methanol needed in your reaction can serve both as solvent and reactant in the reaction. Simply dissolve your carboxylic acid (sorry, I am not familiar with it) in methanol and add an extra 5% of conc. sulphuric acid. Hereafter, I would suggest refluxing for a couple of hours in order to drive the reaction to completion. Next, cool the reaction mixture and extract your ester.

- AlchemicalDane

P.S.: May I ask, out of curiosity, why are you interested in forming this ester?

[Edited on 28-5-2013 by AlchemicalDane]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
29-5-2013 at 10:28

Go To Top