Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stannous Sulfate
mdahan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 5-6-2013 at 03:56
Stannous Sulfate

Hey guys I was wondering if you can give me any information on the production of stannous sulfate with the most possible yield. I have looked at a few way to produce this. Such copper sulfate solution and tin oxide, sulfuric acid and tin, and tin and HCl to stannous chloride, then add sodium hydroxide and then filter precipatate and then dissolve in sulfuric acid. Any pointers would be nice as well as possible books to read (pages would be nice:)) and where i can find them because I cant find them here on science madness. Sorry Im new to the forum.
NeutralIon
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 16:29

Tin metal in a solution of CuSO4 -- use an excess of Sn to insure the reaction goes to completion, which is when the initial blue color of the solution becomes clear.

Knowledge is Good
mdahan
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 03:43

Thanks for the reply. I have done this reaction with tin flakes and still have impurities of copper sulfate within the system. And I wonder if I use tin powder would that help the reaction go faster and more complete since there is more surface area compared to the flakes? and if get stannic would adding fresh tin and heating up convert the stannic back to stannous? sorry for all the questions.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 06:05

try heating the CuSO4/tin flake suspension, also, leave it for a long time.

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 6-10-2013 at 17:00

An easy way is to use your tin metal as an anode, with a sulfuric acid solution as an electrolyte. The anode surface area must be very large compared to the cathode surface area. You want the anode efficiency to be at least 100%. You should not see any oxygen bubbles forming on the anode if the current density is low enough. In fact, you want the anode current density to be much lower than the point where gas starts forming.

The cathode need not be more than a small bit of wire touching the electrolyte. A lot of hydrogen will be released from this electrode. Once the concentration of tin(II) sulfate is high enough in the bath, tin will start plating out on the cathode. Periodically the cathode can be stripped of its tin, until a sizable collection of tin flakes is left on the bottom of the beaker. This excess tin will ensure that the tin in solution is kept in the (+2) oxidation state.

The solution must be kept in a sealed container to keep it from being oxidized, with free tin metal in the bottom.

I've made impromptu tin plating baths this way, and have had good results when using pulse/pulse-reverse plating.

edit: oops. got the oxidation states of tin mixed up. :(

[Edited on 7-10-2013 by WGTR]
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 08:14

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50259a027

Try that

Go To Top