Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Detect adulteration of dextrose with salt?
jsc
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 13:17
Detect adulteration of dextrose with salt?

Hi, I am not really an orgo guy so I was hoping to get some help with this.

I want to detect the presence of salt in dextrose (=glucose). Sometimes people adulterate dextrose with 3%-10% salt (sodium chloride). How can I detect this?

Also, people will adulterate dextrose with other cheaper disaccharides, sucrose, sucralose, etc. Any easy way to check for the presence of garbage disaccharides in glucose?

Thanks for your expertise.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 13:27

You can detect chlorides with a solution of silver nitrate, add a few drops of the latter to a solution of the material in question and a white precipitate(silver chloride) will form if chlorides are present. Other salts will precipitate as well such as iodides, but if chlorides are the only suspected impurity it should give you a fairly clear idea of whether chlorides are present.

[Edited on 5-6-2013 by Mailinmypocket]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 13:30

silver nitrate for sure as sodium chloride will show up as white curd.i read that silver nitrate was used by some art curator to detect sea salt in some famous painting.i think the painting was taken across the ocean and got damaged at one time i dunno how the story goes but silver nitrate is good at finding out chloride. i wonder if it also reacts with chlorate because mine does but i think it is contaminated with potassium chloride.

Go To Top