Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: microwave assisted synthesis of air stable copper nanoparticles
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 04:59
microwave assisted synthesis of air stable copper nanoparticles

I found this on YouTube. No Idea if anyone has any interest in it, but I figured I'd share. I'm actually much more interested in the publication he refers to because I can wait 15 hours.

http://youtu.be/K7WXxZriwk4

The About section from the video:
Quote:

I got this from a journal but they stirred the thing for 16 hours - which seemed like a long time so i decided to try it in the trusty old microwave and cut the time down to 1 hour. I wish i had the equipment to see what happened to the particle size. Anyhow, the article reckoned the size was about 4nm. Seems reasonable. The result is pretty cool - it's air stable (doesn't oxidise) and stays in suspension for 2 months or more so ideal for an ink. My next step is to collect more and concentrate it down as it is probably about 1% copper - not much - I need at least 10% by weight. So, the way to do it. You need 1.5g of copper (II) chloride in 50 mL of deionised water, 8.5g of ascorbic acid in 50mL of deionised water and a microwave. I don't have copper chloride so I made my own by reacting copper sulphate with sodium hydroxide and then adding hydrochloric acid and evaporating until i got the crystals I wanted. Anyhow, It's good stuff and I think a possible route to your own conductive ink.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 19:11

Simple glucose reduction route for one-step synthesis of copper nanofluids
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13204-012-0169-6

" In a typical procedure, 30 mL of 0.1 M aqueous solution of copper nitrate trihydrate was rendered ammoniacal by adding ammonium hydroxide (5 mL of 2 M solution) till the color became deep blue. Later, the solution was stirred with 30 mL of 0.01 M solution of SLS in ethylene glycol. After 15 min, 3 g of glucose was added and stirred at 75 C till the color changed to golden yellow. At this point, sulfuric acid was added to neutralize the added ammonium hydroxide. When the color turned brown, the solution was cooled to get copper nanofluid."

" The reduction was also carried out under microwave irradiation. The solution was subjected to microwave radiation for 5 min at 50 % power."

" No peaks of impurities such as those of cuprous or cupric oxide were detected, suggesting that the product obtained was highly pure."

-Violet Sin-
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
10-7-2013 at 17:18
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:28

Go To Top